Cultivated Reef

I <3 sun corals and dendros

ToXIc

so i'm in love with Sun Corals and Dendros..

i have a fire cracker dendro and Yellow Sun Coral from Mr. Coral and absolutely love them...

i know there is also a black sun coral (will have soon) but cant find any other colors while googling... please post up pics of yours and info on other colors out there...

ill get new pics when i get home..

also guys if your having problems with the dendro from Mr. Coral get some Cyclop-eeze FreezerBar and mix with mysis shrimp chum the water with the mix the 5-15 mins later feed them.. tried it yesterday and it worked wonders.. before only one head actually pushed out (no tentacles though) but after giving them this mix yesterday all 4 heads pushed out and a few tentacles extended on 2 heads..

Cyclop-eeze.jpg

here's my sun corals:

IMG_1087.JPG

and here's my dendro's:

IMG_0973.JPG

the dendros were on their way out when i got them from a friend. I feed them daily and now they are finally growing out some nice skeleton.

One thing you can do until you get them eating well hold off on mounting them to the rock work and bucket/bowl feed them. Take the coral in question put it in a small container of tank water and saturate it with a cyclopeeze/mysis mix and let them sit in the cup until they open up and feed.Put back in the tank when the majority of the polyps come out and eat. Do this till they open readily when food is introduced in the cup. Once they all open readily then you can mount them in the tank and target feed after adding some food to the water column before hand..

One thing you can do until you get them eating well hold off on mounting them to the rock work and bucket/bowl feed them. Take the coral in question put it in a small container of tank water and saturate it with a cyclopeeze/mysis mix and let them sit in the cup until they open up and feed.Put back in the tank when the majority of the polyps come out and eat. Do this till they open readily when food is introduced in the cup. Once they all open readily then you can mount them in the tank and target feed after adding some food to the water column before hand..

dang wished i knew this before mounting..

here are mine...

cd5c1c6c.jpg

4c280429.jpg

sometimes even bucket feeding isnt enough to bring a colony back sometimes once they start to go down hill. I got this colony from a friend a while back and she wasnt able to really get it eating. This photo was from november of last year.

IMG_1222.JPG

flash forward to the middle of february despite bucket feeding it and doing every trick in the book i know it still receded to nothing.

IMG_0702.JPG

After this photo I fragged the last remaining polyp and tried my best to keep it alive..

Whereas my yellow sun coral looked like this when i got it initally:

IMG_0813.jpg

note the missing tissue between the polyps. After plenty of feeding it completely re-grew over the exposed skeleton and this is a polyps emerging photo from june of this year:

IMG_0816.JPG

My Dendros started as a single polyp. Over the year or so they've retracted for days or a week at a time, but always come back full and hungry. All polyps eat like, well, Dendros. They are my favorite coral at the moment.

Dendros_Vince_Resor_DSC_5266.jpg

My avatar says he hates cyclopeze. :haha: I have some yellow tub's and some black tub's as well as about 6 polyps of dendro. NPS are amazing :) I'll get some pictures later on tonight.

• 3 weeks later...
Came home and saw my frogspan laying on my dendro now 2 heads are halfway bleached. Do you think they will recover?

OUCH!! I doubt it. Those frogggies can be pretty mean!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived