Cultivated Reef

Flea removal questions

captainbastard

captainbastard

Hey guys I wasn't if anyone here has any ideas about this but here it goes. I live in a small apt/condo and have a cat with fleas. My gf is allergic to them and it has really become a problem. We have tried flea meds on the cat, powders on the rug/furniture but nothing seems to fully work and they come back. I was considering using a flea bomb as those have worked for other places I have lived in the past but Im very concerned about my aquarium. Is there any way possible to cover the aquarium so that those chemicals don't get in? Or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks

I would take all my aquarium stuff out of the house or wrap it all in plastic, maybe put a plastic sheet over the aquarium so nothing gets in. Wipe down all the areas you store the aquarium supplies really good after the bomb so you dont accidentally introduce residue into the tank. I have 2 big labs and I bombed earlier this summer. Instead of leaving it going like the instructions say, I walked through the house with it spraying under the beds, furniture etc and stayed as far away from the room with my tank as possible. I didn't loose anything in my 20g L. Good luck. :scarry: Fleas suck.

Frontline Plus works very well on my beasts.

captainbastard
Get some Revolution flea drops from your vet. Best stuff evar. Haven't seen a flea in almost 2 years.

Thanks guys. I'm using frontline right now but Ill try Revolution also.

I am really surprised Frontline Plus has not worked for you. I have an allergic cat and if she gets fleas she will literally rip her side off (you don't wanna see it!). After having to rush her to the vet for this last year when she caught fleas from the cat downstairs, I keep her on Frontline plus all the time. It worked before that, then and even now. I also tried all the other spot stuff and none of that ever worked.

If you have hardwood floors they can get in the cracks, you have to get a powder from the vet to sweep into the cracks. Vacuum often and throw out the vacuum bags or whatever. Keep doing it and they will go away.

When we had to bomb as a kid and my dad had tanks we would throw blankets or such over the tank and they would always be ok. I haven't had to bomb myself tho.

Hope all this helps

Get a Kirby Vacuum, or atleast a good one and use it daily. Also adding some vinegar to your pets water bowl is a naturaly method of stopping fleas. I personally use a pesticide called DEMON that kills them quick.

under the sea

if you have eggs in the carpet (which you do) you need to treat with boric acid powder. sprinkle on and then sweep with broom and let sit for awhile and then vacuum.

captainbastard

Shyla I also had a cat that was allergic to fleas, such a horrible thing for a cat :( . Anyways I do have a Hoover vacuum that works really good and have used the powder on the rug. I wasn't aware they could get in the hardwood floors. I guess I could try sealing everything up and bombing if it comes to that

navyman_3703
if you have eggs in the carpet (which you do) you need to treat with boric acid powder. sprinkle on and then sweep with broom and let sit for awhile and then vacuum.

The boric acid works best if it sits overnight. If u dont wait long enough, it will not kill all the eggs. Also a bomb will not kill all the eggs. use the boric acid overnight and place a DAMP towel over your tank and any other aquarium supplies.

danthenewreefman

def don't want to bomb it, bugs and many marine inverts are closely related....so the poisons are more lethal towards them (arthropods).

I bomb house, covered tank with like 4 thick comforters...came home after the 4 hours had passed....ALL of my fish were A-OK....my 3 lobsters were all dead. This was on a 80g cichlid tank.

captainbastard

I think what I will do is remove all invertebrates into a bucket and keep them outside with a powerhead and heater and seal everything else off in the tank. Then use the boric acid on the carpets. Cross your fingers, hopefully this works. Thanks for all the suggestions, I will keep them in mind

BLoCkCliMbeR

well for starters you have to know your enemy.....

http://www.pest-control-supplies.com/flea_life_cycle.htm

its def. not an over night process, you cant just expect to spray then be done with it....

treat the cat, then treat any place that could possibly harbor larva, including all the places the cat likes to play and hide....

the larva look like copeopod size maggot looking things and they can live on the surface of your couch, bed, pillows, carpet....

you can place a plate filled with water in the middle of the room and under the couch over night to kinda gage how bad an infestation you have.... .just multiply it by like 1k-10k maybe more...

front line and having a pest control company treat my house is how i got them mostly under control....

i just moved :lol: feel bad for the new tenants

oh and the pest control guy nuked my tank.... lost most of my inverts and corals.....

I am not sure if they have them them for cats. The local pet store here sells these pills for my dogs that kills all the fleas on them in two to six hours. Then I put front line on them. I have flea outbreak from time to time in the summer. I live in Texas and with the heat, a large yard, and living in a the country the flea population rises from time to time. I do not remember the name of the pills. They are around $5 each and you only need one.

One more thing you can do is put a teaspoon of seven dust in your vacuum. Then vacuum about 2 to 3 times in a row. The first pass wakes them up. Good luck" FLEAS SUCK".

danthenewreefman

i would look into sometype of oral medication, along with bombing, and front line, and carpet washing...

do it all, get them all....this isn't something you want to do twice...

I have 2 dogs and I had to deal with fleas this summer. First I did as others suggested and I immediately got them on pills, I used comfortis (not sure if it works for cats), and I vacuumed daily to remove the eggs. With out being able to feed and the daily vacuuming the fleas disappeared within a week with no bombings or other chemicals. Now I have my dogs on Revolution (heart worm and flea medicine) as it is cheaper than comfortis. Hope this helps as fleas suck, especially when you are highly allergic.

I covered my tank and sump with a few sheets and had Terminex come in and spray my wall 2 wall carpet.Two apps and they were gone.No fogging or bombs just a spray solution

Then i went and tiled the whole house myself :o .

Nasty littlle fugers..

Good luck

BLoCkCliMbeR
celophane or saran wrap on the open areas of the tank works for flea bombing. good luck!

i blame the pest control guy for killing my tank, but actually this is what probably caused my crash..... i sealed it air tight for 6-8 hours or how ever long we had to stay out, the wrap was sucked inward towards the water....

they used up all the air i guess..... you could probably rig some sort of air pump to it, but its just a pain in the ass....

if the tank is small enough to just move, thats what i would do...

i blame the pest control guy cuz its easier to blame something/someone with a face and name i can see....

• 5 years later...
Redwhitechem

Shyla I also had a cat that was allergic to fleas, such a horrible thing for a cat :( . Anyways I do have a Hoover vacuum that works really good and have used the powder on the rug. I wasn't aware they could get in the hardwood floors. I guess I could try sealing everything up and bombing if it comes to that

Boric acid works good on.

squamptonbc

Raw food diet, once we switched our 4 legged friends over to a raw diet, the fleas no longer liked them, haven't seen a flea or had to treat for fleas in over a year now... Their poop is also tiny, doesn't smell and is like little rabbit pellets...

Costs a bit more but not needing the flea treatment and overall better health, it pretty much evens out.

Cencalfishguy56

Raw food diet, once we switched our 4 legged friends over to a raw diet, the fleas no longer liked them, haven't seen a flea or had to treat for fleas in over a year now... Their poop is also tiny, doesn't smell and is like little rabbit pellets...

Costs a bit more but not needing the flea treatment and overall better health, it pretty much evens out.

its been 6 years.....

Archived