Cultivated Reef

4th of July at Cape Cod

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I'm finally getting around to posting this. For the 4th of July, my wife and I went with a friend to the Cape. While there, I had the privilege to get into the water and saw lots of sea life. One the first day, some friends invited us over to their house by the water. It was located on an inlet close to the ocean. Here are a couple of views of the inlet from the dock:

bay01.jpg

bay02.jpg

They took us on a quick boat ride around and out of the inlet. You can see a bunch of cormorants along the breaks.

(Clickable video)

th_IMG_1167-1.jpg

On the side of the dock where their boat was parked was some of the most amazing sponges I've ever seen! They were a bright orange and yellow, and mixed with some beautiful macros.

orangesponges02.jpg

orangesponges01.jpg

Underneath the docks and under the sand lived the famous New England Quahog! I was able to wade around in the water and went clamming with a long tool that looked like a cross between a shovel and a rake. One scrapes it along the sand bed until you feel it scrape against something that feels like a rock. Then you wiggle the rack back and forth and lift it up. If you're lucky, there will be a clam in it. Though I caught plenty of rocks too. I caught 16 clams that day. It was a blast. Here's my catch on the grill:

quahogsonthegrill.jpg

While I was clamming, I saw an abundance of sea life on the shore and in the water around me. For starters, floating and swimming all around me were a bunch of the most beautiful jelly fish! Apparently, these kind didn't sting. They were completely transparent except for these lines that went down the sides of them that were an iridescent green. I couldn't get a picture of them, but here's something close to give you an idea:

nottheJellybutclose.jpg

(Not my image)

Also in the water, I saw a little glass shrimp swimming around, and small crab in a bit of seaweed, and a type of snail close to a cerith that they call Periwinkles. These guys were all over the sand bed. Finally, what trip to the coast would be complete without an encounter with a delicious Blue Crab...skuttling across your toes!!! IEEEE! While wading through the water, I couldn't see me feet. So, you can imagine my reaction as I felt something nibbling at my toes. Luckily, my friends were sitting on the dock and were able to witness the hilarity as I about jumped out of the water. This happened a few times. Later, I got to see a couple when the water was still. They really are beautiful. It's funny to see then as they crawl sideways.

The next day, we went to the beach.

beach.jpg

However, I did not spend my time catching rays. Being the science dork that I am, I went back and forth in and out of the water, collecting and photographing the different species of seaweed and macro algae that was washing up on shore. Of course, I didn't keep anything. Though it was inspiring and made me think about starting a macro tank.

(Clickable video)

th_macros.jpg

I have no idea about the identification of these. So, feel free to reply if you know any.

macro1.jpg

macros3.jpg

macro2.jpg

This is the same stuff that was growing by the sponges:

macros4.jpg

macros5.jpg

I also saw a bunch of these cool little guys. Perhaps some sort of sand crab.

sandcrab.jpg

Finally, on the Fourth we went to see some fireworks. It was honestly one of the coolest display I've ever seen. Partially because of our proximity to them. We were so close, that fireworks bits were literally raining down upon us. When I stood up, I had to shake debris out of my hair, and when I got to work on Tuesday, I felt something in my shoe. I shook it out, and sure enough, more fireworks guts!

The evidence.. ;)

fireworks.jpg

Slightly before the fireworks started, we saw some of natures fireworks. The sun set with some awesome colors that night.

sunsetCapeCod.jpg

Good bye Cape Cod!

I hope you all enjoyed!

animalmaster6

I was gonna ask the same question, what beaches where you at? Those macros are all really cool and common around here. I love the crab species here too. :)

Looks like you had an awesome trip!

:lol:

What road is it on?

What, Mashurine commons?

It's on route 28 I think, but I usually don't pay attention to roads when I'm using my Tom tom (affectionately named Dum dum)

cool pics, thanks for sharing. What else is there to do around cape cod? Was thinking of taking a trip there with my fiance next time I'm in Newport RI.

animalmaster6
cool pics, thanks for sharing. What else is there to do around cape cod? Was thinking of taking a trip there with my fiance next time I'm in Newport RI.

Awesome beaches, tons of incredible resteraunts, and if you go to Woods Hole there are Oceanographic Istitutes, an aquarium, and great resteraunts.

Archived