Pod Your Reef

Candy Cane

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I got this as a freebie and was wondering if it will, "inflate" as I see on other trumpet corals where each head looks like it should. I tried feeding it today, but got no responds. Yes, I did a search, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

candycane.jpg

Shouldn't it look like this?

CandyCaneCoral.jpg

Any thoughts?

mm, give it a few days, it seems very stressed . They seem like they will inflate and once comfortable they will extend feeder tentacles once lights are off.

Yup thats probably a pretty close ID with some color differences I am sure. Was it inflated when it was given to you.. or was it a dieing coral you were given to try and recover?

As long as the flesh is in tact and not forming brown gunk on the heads it has a chance.. do not attempt to feed it. It can survive on light alone so until it is expanding normally feedings will not be helpful.

Mr. Microscope
Yup thats probably a pretty close ID with some color differences I am sure. Was it inflated when it was given to you.. or was it a dieing coral you were given to try and recover?

As long as the flesh is in tact and not forming brown gunk on the heads it has a chance.. do not attempt to feed it. It can survive on light alone so until it is expanding normally feedings will not be helpful.

Thanks! I was buying a scarlet crab (I know, it goes against my no-crab philosophy, but they are the most docile) and saw it sitting at the bottom of the tank. So, I asked the guy if he would throw it in.

ParanoidObseshun

Yeah I think it will still be ok. Looks like it has to grow its tissue back over the exposed skeleton poking out of each head. As long as it is in good flow and lighting it should fill back in without a problem, as long as algae doesnt start to form on the exposed fins.

Mr. Microscope
as long as algae doesnt start to form on the exposed fins.

Ooh, good point. I'll keep an eye out for that. I just hope it doesn't bleach under the lights.

Mr. Microscope

Good news! The one in the middle was showing a marked improvement today. I can't wait to see what they look like on Monday.

kamikaze_fish

They could easily recover. They might be small at first but as long as your tank stats are good, it should recover just fine. I got some from someone recently that looked just like that and they never did inflate over the skeleton, but they kind of started their own right in the middle of it but they're growing just fine.

Archived