Innovative Marine Aquariums

My baby Fungia Factory - Fungia for Everyone!

Reefmonster

Reefmonster

I have found a wondrous thing in my aquarium...A Fungia Plate Factory!!!

Fungia_Factory.JPG

I had a plate coral about 2 years ago in my 5 year old 55 gal lagoon tank that started to die, and so I fragged it with my table saw...eventually it died, but being lazy I just left the skeleton in the tank...A few months ago I was rearranging the rock and saw what I thought was a mushroom rock, but to my surprise found a bunch of baby plates on the sand next to it...I had found my "dead" plate..only it had transformed into a Fungia Factory. There are around 30-40 heads on any given time and when they are about a dime in size when inflated they pop off!

Fungia_Factory_2.JPG

I also found a cool zoa / paly right next to it that I had never seen or bought before, and i call them Super Nova's, because they look like a star exploding...

Super_Nova_s.JPG

Pics were taken with all LED's on so I had to change the white balance in Picasa to make it less blue. I now have them in my BC14g, and they seem to be liking the tank, although I noticed that the Plates have changed to a more Celeste (light blue) color since the move...they were dark green before.

Comments are welcome.

I have one of these myself. Very rare from what I hear. A great money maker, as well.

About to drop a head..

IMAG0067.jpg

Some of the spawn...

IMG_0490.jpg

I have the same thing going on. What are you doing to keep the babies in the sand and not from blowing around? Do they have any skeleton formed yet? One of mine detached three weeks ago and has yet to even start forming any type of skeleton. Thanks,

Mine wait until they are about 3" wide with a full skeleton before they detach on their own. If you want to produce them quickly, you can wait until they are about the size of a nickel. They have a small skeleton at that point. Break them off and place them in a shallow tupperware style dish with some sand in it. Current should flow over them but not enough to flip and carry them away.

I have one of these myself. Very rare from what I hear. A great money maker, as well.

About to drop a head..

IMAG0067.jpg

Some of the spawn...

IMG_0490.jpg

Thats the attitude I hate in reefers, always trying to make a buck on a another reefer. If your in it to make money, go open up a store ######!

/rant

sorry

Reefmonster
Thats the attitude I hate in reefers, always trying to make a buck on a another reefer. If your in it to make money, go open up a store ######!

/rant

sorry

Stop hating, and don't say sorry when you aren't. It is a sign of weakness. So...tell me...what are we supposed to do with all the babies...trading or selling is a great service...where else will people get baby Fugia? Most plates are too big for a nano, that's for sure. And why not make a buck or two, as long as it's a fair price? If you don't like it then don't buy any, but don't chastize us for it. Go ahead and buy everything from your LFS...no big deal to me.

Mine wait until they are about 3" wide with a full skeleton before they detach on their own. If you want to produce them quickly, you can wait until they are about the size of a nickel. They have a small skeleton at that point. Break them off and place them in a shallow tupperware style dish with some sand in it. Current should flow over them but not enough to flip and carry them away.

I noticed from the ones that popped off in my 55gal that they do have a little nub (sort of like a belly button). I just glued them to a plug and stuck them in the frag rack, and viola! I think the tupper-ware would work great, too if you have the space.

When I found mine I thought it was a miracle...now i don't feel so special....

THANKS! LOL :lol:

that is really stinkin cool. that's the reason i am lookin over every tank i see for a "dead" skeleton. let me know if you want to get rid of one of the babies (trade or buy)

Stop hating, and don't say sorry when you aren't. It is a sign of weakness. So...tell me...what are we supposed to do with all the babies...trading or selling is a great service...where else will people get baby Fugia? Most plates are too big for a nano, that's for sure. And why not make a buck or two, as long as it's a fair price? If you don't like it then don't buy any, but don't chastize us for it. Go ahead and buy everything from your LFS...no big deal to me.

I noticed from the ones that popped off in my 55gal that they do have a little nub (sort of like a belly button). I just glued them to a plug and stuck them in the frag rack, and viola! I think the tupper-ware would work great, too if you have the space.

When I found mine I thought it was a miracle...now i don't feel so special....

THANKS! LOL :lol:

Fungia can move around in the wild. Gluing them down is a really bad idea IMO

/rant

sorry

So you'd rather go to your LFS and pay 30-40 bucks for a fungia when I sell them for 10 bucks when they get to be 4" wide? Ever been to a frag swap? I buy corals for $5 that would cost well over $30 if I had bought them from a store. The whole idea that you hate is one of the things keeping this hobby alive. I have no problem selling frags to help pay for items like salt, kalk, my damn power bill. All these things made that little $10 fungia possible.

Ya damn dummy

Reefmonster
Fungia can move around in the wild. Gluing them down is a really bad idea IMO

I didn't say I put them on a giant frag disk...and they do move around...I just glue them to a small piece of shell or a small disk that I make myself...see...mine pop off when they are VERY small compared to the other poster, but mine has 30-40 heads growing all the time...so it stands to reason that she would cut them loose at a smaller younger age.

These little guys are about the size of a dime inflated when they jump off, and tend to get blown around if not attached to something...unfortunately I don't have room in the nano for a tupper-ware bowl, but I do have a small plastic bowl I can use for next time one pops off.

Solarflare8806

maybe you could get a small tank and seperate them. You know give them a specific flow and light and that way thier not blowing around your tank. :D

Reefmonster
maybe you could get a small tank and seperate them. You know give them a specific flow and light and that way thier not blowing around your tank. :D

If money wasn't an object and I had a ton of space I could do that, but as it stands... :P

Archived