Pod Your Reef

Frank's contest tank

franklypre

I reworked my sump/frag tank setup and things just didn't go as well as expected, lost my clowns and several frags. Now I get to wait till xmas to add more to the tank.

:huh:DSCF5121.jpg

I want some LEDs but unfortunately I have a 70w viper in the closet, I'll pick up a 20k for it and probably use it. It will be more of big reflector when it's done. I was bieng dragged around Hobby Lobby and found Krylon Mirrored spraypaint. 13bucks a can X 2, with a coat of black to finish off. All but one side will be mirrored, it will be drilled and hooked up to a 40g frag tank. That's all I have planned out so far, don't know whether I will use strings and hang SPS upside down or place them on acrylic dowels. Gotta drill the hole first.

All but one side will be mirrored
Interesting, I get your title now. :) I wonder what two way mirrored film would look like.

I did that on the back of my 58, or atleast mirror tinted it and it doesn't look as good as I had hoped. I may mirror the back of it the same as I'm doing to this one. It looks fairly impressive dry can't wait to get the water in it.

NIce tank, welcome to the hex club! I'll be adding your hex to the master list. Feel free to post up a profile when your ready :)

Don't be on here telling secrets. Yes the hole is drilled, not perfect but it works. Now I gotta figure out the overflow, the plumbing will be simple. I'm gonna have to touch the paint up a little, got kinda scuffed up.

scubasteve2580
Don't be on here telling secrets. Yes the hole is drilled, not perfect but it works. Now I gotta figure out the overflow, the plumbing will be simple. I'm gonna have to touch the paint up a little, got kinda scuffed up.

hey i said "finish that hole" i didnt tell which hole. :P

It's a 10 hex I believe. The paint is OK, I scratched it up when I was drilling the overflow, so now I need to touch up the paint job. Had a death in the family, went out of town for the weekend so I need to get to Home Depot today and get back to work on it. I'll update the FTS as soon as I get it running, I know I'm way behind.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Plumbing is working

Rock stack is glued and in the tank

10w light on for cycle of the rocks

Adding peppermint shrimp later today

Still debating on the lights: 70w halide or PAR38, considering trying out the PAR 30 by the new sponsor

scubasteve2580
Update:

Plumbing is working

Rock stack is glued and in the tank

10w light on for cycle of the rocks

Adding peppermint shrimp later today

Still debating on the lights: 70w halide or PAR38, considering trying out the PAR 30 by the new sponsor

you know where my vote is

• 3 weeks later...

Alright ordered the rapids PAR 38. Hopefully it will work well, couldn't pass up on it at 95 dollars shipped. It should be here by the weekend so I'll get some pics up ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Lessons learned from my experience is Krylon Mirror finish is a PITA, it comes off way too easily. 10g are very fragile and prone to leaks when drilled, my DIY bulkhead was a failure, the constant movement has created a nice line of ###### all the way to the carpet. Also it is very difficult to win a nano contest when people are using 40g so..... I happened to come across another hex tank 24X18X18. Dont' know what that =in gallons, the formula for hex tanks is ??? to me. I know others have had difficulties and ya'll have been understanding so let me know. I will post this on the contest thread as soon as it pops up again.

Lessons learned from my experience is Krylon Mirror finish is a PITA, it comes off way too easily.
You might think about painting over the mirror finish (either with a clear coat, or black) to protect it (first touch up any scratches with the mirror finish). A few thin layers is better than one thick coat. Even multiple layers of mirror might hold up better.

If you have anything hanging off the back (onto your paint), rubber feet can help protect the new paint job.

Also it is very difficult to win a nano contest when people are using 40g so..... I happened to come across another hex tank 24X18X18.
IDK, I've seen some impressive 2.5 gallon picos before. Plus it's easier to stock a small tank. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you won't be allowed to upgrade to a larger tank and remain in the contest.

Keep it up, it looks good. I never figured I'd win anyway. I entered for some fun; and I wanted to setup another tank.

I honestly thought the 5 coats of the mirror and 2 coats of the Krylon black would help but the mirrored paint just doesn't take much wear and tear. I have seen nice pico's and nice nano's but all in all a tank that's 17 inches tall with only 10 inches of arm room just really isn't ideal for me, every time I want to get something from the bottom I have to be very careful not to overflow the tank. But hey stuff happens, we move on and get better stuff.

• 1 month later...

well it's actually starting to look like a fish tank. Thinking about ether SPS or NPS, kinda leaning towards LPS and NPS, with a few SPS. Hard to decide.

Archived