Innovative Marine Aquariums

help me understand bc 29 and evaporation with tunze/mediabasket

skeeters

bc 29

tunze 9002 second chamber

media basket

Retarded question, but I'm confused about the daily evaporation and where to monitor it???

I setup the tunze and mediabasket a week ago. StevieT tunze cup sits right above the media basket. I know I have that right.

Am I suppose to keep daily evaporation at the tunze water line or a little below (1/2) as I have read?

When I first setup the 3 chamber was full, now it is evaporating and water is only coming from chamber 2 to 3 from below not over the wall.

Reason I ask is it seems to fluctuate in chamber 2. This morning the water level was at the tunze line. I come home this afternoon and it's above the tunze water line and water is kinda flowing out of the sides of the media basket. How would the water go up? The filter looks clean but maybe it's not. It's been a few days since I changed it, but it's cured rock no fish or corals.

Once I get water to the tunze line do I always top-off to the tunze line daily? I would think so since I have to keep it at or a little below the line but I'm confused now.

Thanks

Water level in the tank and chamber 1 will be constant. Water level in chamber 2 & 3 will decrease with evap.

Pick a level in chamber 2 or 3 and stick to it.

Should should I make up some more saltwater, fill chamber three back up, get chamber 2 to the line on the tunze then mark an area in say chamber three and keep it there daily? Right now my chamber 3 is down to the max line marker on the BC.

I don't get real skimmate until the water level is well below the line. I called Tunzee and they told me the line represents the max water line. He also told me if it sounds like a coffee maker...the water is too high. If it is too deep....nothng will happen....too shallow, foam has trouble rising in the tube. It took me a couple weeks playing around with it to get it right....I am still not sure if I have it set up for max production. Honestly, the thing is kind of a hastle. Let us know if you get it all dialed in.

I don't get real skimmate until the water level is well below the line. I called Tunzee and they told me the line represents the max water line. He also told me if it sounds like a coffee maker...the water is too high. If it is too deep....nothng will happen....too shallow, foam has trouble rising in the tube. It took me a couple weeks playing around with it to get it right....I am still not sure if I have it set up for max production. Honestly, the thing is kind of a hastle. Let us know if you get it all dialed in.

It was the freaking filter. It was only in there for 2 to 3 days and looked clean but obviously not. When I removed and replaced the water dropped way down. I filled chamber three top the top where it flows back into chamber 2. I added water to chamber 2 about 1/2 below the tunze water line and the thing fired off like crazy. Now's it pulling bubbles into the chamber.

I marked on the media basket where the level is now ans in chamber three. I will use this as a guideline for evaporation. If chamber three is below the mark and chamber 2 is above the mark then I guess it's time to chnage the floss. I will upload a photo in a few to show where my level is.

That is about what mine looks like too. I think I am going to have to figure something out to better direct the water from chamber 1 into the media basket. The fit is not tight and water washes around the little directors that came with the Stevie tower.

The water does wash a little around the directional tabs, but just a little. Once I got it right and superglued 99% goes in.

The filter is driving me nuts though. I changed it last night and now the water level is above where I marked in the 2 and 3 chamber.

From the photo above the water line is now at the tunze max water line and also higher than the max line I marked in the 3 chamber. How the hell am I suppose to know what has evaporated daily?

I changed the filter last night then took the photo above.

Can someone please help?

The water does wash a little around the directional tabs, but just a little. Once I got it right and superglued 99% goes in.

The filter is driving me nuts though. I changed it last night and now the water level is above where I marked in the 2 and 3 chamber.

From the photo above the water line is now at the tunze max water line and also higher than the max line I marked in the 3 chamber. How the hell am I suppose to know what has evaporated daily?

I changed the filter last night then took the photo above.

Can someone please help?

Now you see the water line went up in a 12 hour period. It was 1/2 under the tunze line, now it's level.

DSC00101.jpg

Do you mean the water level actually in the media basket? If so, mine is even higher than yours but the water in chamber 2 outside the basket is lower. Chamber 2 outside the besket is equal with water level in chamber 3. I don't think that is a problem. When I top off, I add to chamber 3 and therefore the level in 2 goes up also.

The mark I placed on the inside of the media basket (chamber 2) and mark in chamber 3 was higher.

I almost think it's the poly filter I use with the blue backing. It seems like you have to change daily cause it's so thick it get's clogged. When I changed everything went back to the normal level.

Does anyone use the poly with blue backing? Do you have to change daily? I'm almost thinking about tearing off the blue back and just using the poly until I'm out then getting the walmart 100% poly stuff.

Does this make sense to you guys?

Why would you tear something away that is catching crap out of your tank?

This tank is new, you will need to change the filter floss often. After the tank ages it will lessen and will have to be changed every 7 or so days. Also depends on if you feed with the filtration pump on or off. What you are catching is good to catch and throw away.

Why would you tear something away that is catching crap out of your tank?

This tank is new, you will need to change the filter floss often. After the tank ages it will lessen and will have to be changed every 7 or so days. Also depends on if you feed with the filtration pump on or off. What you are catching is good to catch and throw away.

Ok, that's what I didn't know. I will just change daily for now. When I change the filter the water is always below the mark line I placed for evaporation so this is how I will tell how much evaported daily. It was just making it hard for me to figure out how much to top off daily.

Thanks...just trying to get use to all this before adding corals/fish.

Make sure you blast your rock with a turkey basket when doing a water change. If you are changing it daily just rinse it a few times before discarding so you are not wasting too much floss.

Make sure you blast your rock with a turkey basket when doing a water change.

This is a great StevieT tip. Blast your rocks, blast your back chambers, do a water change and then change the filter floss 30 minutes later when the water has cleared up.

Archived