Innovative Marine Aquariums

Markushka's & AdrianBryce's DIY PVC Overflow

Markushka

I did this overflow for both of my tanks and here are some pics.

*this was my pre-testing construction, made a few modifications i'll discuss below.

in-tank view

DSCN0759.JPG

Side veiw*

DSCN0760.JPG

out-of-tank view*

DSCN0761.JPG

Flattend view*

DSCN0762.JPG

There were a few changes (nothing major, the design remains the same) I made after I tested the overflow but didn't take new pics.

one thing that must be done is the output pipe must be below the bend of the intake part. to do this i just cut a longer tube for the third one from the left in the flattened view picture. this is a must for suction to be maintained.

another thing I did was remove the soft hose adapter on the output and continued it with 3/4" pvc (same as used for the whole construction) and added a ball valve to regulate flow rate.

This overflow design can be made using any diameter tubing. larger tubing will have a greater gph capacity. the output can be the same diameter tubing (recommended for max gph) or smaller for restricted gph. It can be pvc or soft vynil.

Any questions, comments etc. are welcome

and this whole thing costs under 10$ with the ball valve. silicone up the joints so they don't leak and your all set to go.

49.9999999999999999998753% of the credit for this design goes to adrian for all the help and support he provided :)

Hey mark

Looks good from here. Thoughts. Mmm...

Well as most will have noticed I fall on the siphon bad side of things. But believe it or not have been recently thinking about these. Maybe even using one on a setup. So this would be the mod I've thought of to combat losing siphon.

In the u bend coming over the tank wall. Instead of using two 90s. Have it be a 90 into a tee. With one end up the other down. Use an adapter on the upper most part to tap into the asembly with a fed from the return line. This should help by always having water flowing through the siphion. Even if bubbles form. Sort of like the drain kits for water beds. Hope that makes sence some day I'm going to have to draw a pic. Although there is a glass overflow that uses the same cocept. That was on reefbiulders a while ago.

Think it was mama nano overflow I'll look.

this design loks much like the pvc overflow from a few years back.

just be sure to install a check valve to suck out the trapped air bubbles

• 1 month later...
Hey mark

Looks good from here. Thoughts. Mmm...

Well as most will have noticed I fall on the siphon bad side of things. But believe it or not have been recently thinking about these. Maybe even using one on a setup. So this would be the mod I've thought of to combat losing siphon.

In the u bend coming over the tank wall. Instead of using two 90s. Have it be a 90 into a tee. With one end up the other down. Use an adapter on the upper most part to tap into the asembly with a fed from the return line. This should help by always having water flowing through the siphion. Even if bubbles form. Sort of like the drain kits for water beds. Hope that makes sence some day I'm going to have to draw a pic. Although there is a glass overflow that uses the same cocept. That was on reefbiulders a while ago.

Think it was mama nano overflow I'll look.

I'd be interested in seeing that drawing, i'm working on trying to eliminate that problem. I did base this overflow on the Mame design and i'd like to add that connection from the return tube to the siphon, but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

again its just the basic idea, the height of this bend vs that bend may need to be tweaked.

if you want the model let me know & I'll throw it up on the warehouse.

while there will be an air bubble that forms in the siphon, when powered down. both u bends should stay primed. plus the water flowing from the return line will help.

Archived