inTank Media Baskets

freebies from LR purchase

ToXIc

freebies from LR purchase

some kinda coral..

DSC02103.jpg

2 clams; a sponge and some kinda orange stuff?

DSC02105.jpg

a rock urchin?

DSC02104.jpg

when i got the rock from the LFS the guys took one urchin off the rock stating it would eat my coroline (sp?) is this so? should i take it out?

Deleted User 6

looks like a spiny urchin. they grow to the size of a basketball.

or, actually, a rock boring urchin. they don't grow that big.

Does the first one have a skeleton? It kinda looks like a blastomusa. And ya those urchins will eat your coralline, when your tank is fully established you will have so much of it you will wish you had an urchin to eat it lol.

Does the first one have a skeleton? It kinda looks like a blastomusa. And ya those urchins will eat your coralline, when your tank is fully established you will have so much of it you will wish you had an urchin to eat it lol.

skeleton?!?!? not sure..

carbon-mantis

The coral looks like a Hidden Cup Coral, Phyllangia Americana. A non photosynthetic LPS coral, if I remember what some others have said about it, it may need to be fed if you want it to live long-term.

The coral looks like a Hidden Cup Coral, Phyllangia Americana. A non photosynthetic LPS coral, if I remember what some others have said about it, it may need to be fed if you want it to live long-term.

Phyllangia Americana huh!?.. i just googled it and the tentacles on the pics does look like whats on the one i have...

meganistkrieg

Cool urchin - they will eat your coralline eventually, but not so quickly that it won't regrow. They'll also eat most (all?) nuisance algaes. They're little lawnmowers! Great find! :wub:

Cool urchin - they will eat your coralline eventually, but not so quickly that it won't regrow. They'll also eat most (all?) nuisance algaes. They're little lawnmowers! Great find! :wub:

thanks...

so the only thing left is the orange/red stuff next to the sponge...

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i got some more LR from the LFS and got some more freebies

1ea clam

3ea of some kinda coral

1ea urchin (this is the 2nd one i got from them)

about 6 tiny baby feather dusters..

coral? on the rock in the background you can see a black spot, thats the urchin

DSC02211.jpg

DSC02210.jpg

also there are several thin transparent tentacles extended from the base of the rock... no clue what it is and cant get a pic..

animalmaster6
thanks...

so the only thing left is the orange/red stuff next to the sponge...

That is a Stomatella Snail. They are awesome and are very good algae eaters.

ok so i got some more LR from the LFS and got some more freebies

1ea clam

3ea of some kinda coral

1ea urchin (this is the 2nd one i got from them)

about 6 tiny baby feather dusters..

coral? on the rock in the background you can see a black spot, thats the urchin

DSC02211.jpg

DSC02210.jpg

also there are several thin transparent tentacles extended from the base of the rock... no clue what it is and cant get a pic..

That is an Aiptasia Anemone. Those are bad.

arnt aiptasia tentacles thinner?!?! trust me i should know.. when i got the tank from the previous owner it was over run with aiptasia..

Clear tubes are hydroids also bad. The LFS owner just wanted the urchin to sell. Looks like a rock boring to me. It will probably eat the coraline but i have two and i think they're worth it.

The lfs guy just grabbed the one I wanted didn't see the urchin until I got home.

Looks like I'll be breaking out the putty and sealing them holes.

I have a rock boring urchin as well and really like it. Look close at the spines and see if they're a really deep purple color, that's what color mine are when you get a good look at them.

Clear tubes are hydroids also bad.

here a vid of the thingy..(click to view)

th_IMG_0113.jpg

they are reaching out and grabbing sand particles and making a tunnel with it..

Dunno what they're called, but they will soon be ALL OVER your rocks that touch the sand. They're fun to watch when they pick up the sand. Sometimes they find the right piece on the first try, but other times they pick up a grain then throw it away for some reason :)

GL with the ID

Spionid worms?

Look here:http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rs/index.php

about 2/3 of the way down, heading "Worms With Two Tentacles" and there's a picture.

Archived