SaltCritters.com

Need Photog Help

Weetabix7

Okay, I need some input from the Pros out there.

I can get decent Macro pics, but no matter what I try Full Tank Shots always come out kinda grainy lookin or something, not sharp and looking much duller than it looks in real life.

To illustrate this, see the following:

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5634.jpg

IMG_5637.jpg

I am shooting with a Canon Powershot A720 IS.

All of the above photos were taken on:

Av setting

ISO 400

F 4.0, -1

Superfine

M1 setting, 2592x1944 (tbh, I don't know exactly what this means)

This is a P&S but it does have some manueverability.

Also has Tv, P, and Manual settings.

After looking at the pics, do any of you see anything obvious I need to change or have any suggestions.

This little tank is actually really beautiful, but no matter how hard I try I just can't capture it's vibrancy.

The problem with the FTS is the light spillover from the fixture. It's creating a reflection on the lens. Try either blocking the light from the fixture or shading the lens with your hand or a dark object. See if that helps. :)

^ that. also, for the 'graininess', try lowering the ISO and popping the cam on a tripod, chair, sleeping cat or some other sturdy support.

also, are you editing them any? a little overdone, but...

weets.jpg

villagefrags

Turn the water flow off, get a tripod, make sure tank front is absolutely clean, shade the lights from the lens, select a low ISO, turn all room lights off, then think about shooting the FTS.

Paul.

Haven't been editing them Jer, don't really know how.

The only editing I've tried has been through Photobucket, and that was mostly when I was taking pics under LEDs, which are notoriously difficult.

I can try the shading the lens thing, thanks.

When I use a lower ISO, it makes the pics really dark, that's why I've been using 400 instead of 200.

Thanks all for the input.

also, are you editing them any? a little overdone, but...

weets.jpg

Can you give me a basic explanation of what kind of editing you did here, and what you used to edit with?

Okay, I lowered the ISO to 200, shaded the light fixture a little, balanced the camera on some stuff (makeshift tripod), and changed the colors to Vivid Colors.

Here's what I got:

IMG_5641.jpg

What a difference, you guys rock! :happydance:

Now THAT'S what the tank really looks like in real life.

I love how much sharper it is.

Got any suggestions for Top-Down shots?

Gotta hold camera in hand for that and I don't know how to shade from the light.

My pic above of the Blue and Yellow Macros was a Top Down shot.

Messed with it in Photobucket Editing, only ended up adjusting brightness, and got this:

IMG_5641-1.jpg

Thoughts?

looks good. fwiw, I use the GIMP for editing. most of the time I fiddle with curves, but for your photo above I just used their auto white balance and auto color settings. took all of ten seconds or so. :)

looks good. fwiw, I use the GIMP for editing. most of the time I fiddle with curves, but for your photo above I just used their auto white balance and auto color settings. took all of ten seconds or so. :)

Thanks! :happy:

villagefrags

Nice Job, Much better picture.

For a top down, make sure there is no reflection from the lights into the lens from the top of the water. Its sometimes pretty difficult balancing the light and the camera.

Good luck and well done.

Archived