Pod Your Reef

Zoas half open all the time

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I'm wondering about my Green Lanterns. They seem to be only half open all the time. All other zoas seem fine.

halfopen.jpg

Are they getting too much light? I thought that yellow zoas were better at the top half. They seem to be doing fine and have put out more heads in the last few weeks, but they are never open all the way. They always look like the picture above.

Tank 3 gallon JBJ Picotope

Temp 80ish, Alk 9, Mg 1280, Ca 410, pH 8.3, SG 1.026, Ammonia Nitrate/trite all 0.

Lights PAR38 LEDs (5x3 watt CREES overdriven to 21 watts)

Flow from AC70 and Koralia Nano

Read more: Zoas half open all the time?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mr. Microscope

The cyano came with the plug and has actually been starting to go away since I've had it. They were open all the way when I first got them.

You could lower them to the sand bed and monitor them for a few days. Also try a freshwater dip or a lugols dip. As long as they are spreading new heads they seem to be healthy. But placement or the dips may open them fully, it's worth a shot.

Did you get them recently? Looks like too much light but who knows, zoanthids are finicky. I had some do that when my salinity was a bit too high a few times.

Mr. Microscope

Yeah, they're pretty new. I think I'll try putting them in the sandbed and dipping them when I get some stuff to dip them in.

Archived