Pod Your Reef

Does anyone keep barnacles?

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I see these little guys attached to rocks/shells on the beach sometimes. Has anyone plopped one in a tank? How do they do? Will they take over? Do they need cooler water?

They need cooler water, around 55-60. The ones you are talking about anyway. They are filter feeders, I have some, but most just kind of fade away....

......but most just kind of fade away....

That is what happened to a colony I had. Of course this was before phytoplankton was available and when the the main ingredient in the filter feeder food was egg yoke. :eek:

meganistkrieg

I have one that came in on the shell of a cerith snail. I've had it in there for about four months now and it still flickers its little filter out whenever I feed the tank (seems to respond to the phytoplankton, specifically, which would make sense). Standard tank parameters so maybe it's just a very sturdy barnacle, as everything I've read points to them missing some essential ingredient to keep alive and always perishing in captivity.

johnmaloney

the little ones on ceriths seem to be hardier than most. I think it is because they need less food then the bigger guys, so they get a meal in captivity

My bumble bee snail has 3 or 4 on it's back and they come out whenever I feed as well. They're funny lookin little things.

meganistkrieg
the little ones on ceriths seem to be hardier than most. I think it is because they need less food then the bigger guys, so they get a meal in captivity

The cerith-with-barnacle came from your stable, actually, so I trust you on this! :lol: Interesting critter to have - I always like seeing what the duo is up to (answer is always "eating" but I digress...)

• 2 weeks later...
joshnanoreef

I have five large gooseneck barnacles in my 10 gallon. They are really cool to watch and seem to eat flake food. They have feathery appendages that go in and out. I love them!

btw- my tank is 78 degrees, but they are doing fine.

Archived