Innovative Marine Aquariums

Adding actinic to 20KK PAR38

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I've been running the 20KK PAR38 with 80 degree optics for about a month now (BTW, I love it! Thanks Evil!). I have it about 6 or 7 inches from the waterline. Today I was messing around with my tank and decided to cover up one of the white lights with my finger and saw the most amazing glow out of my corals. Even some of the ones that I thought weren't coloring up were glowing with color that was hidden with the extra white. This inspired me to start researching to add some more LEDs (just the blues) to get some more glow out of everything.

To start out, would this work? It's only 1w, but affordable enough.

Coralife 1W Lunar Light

CORALIFE_1w_lunarlight.jpg

Also, I was looking at this, but haven't seen the best reviews.

Powerbrite 4x1w 460nm

CU01648_50.jpg

Though a little more than I want to spend.

I also saw the stunners, but I don't want to buy a separate power supply. Again, this would add up to more than I want to spend.

I'm open to options other than LED, but would strongly prefer LED and need something that does not obstruct the PAR38 Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mr. Microscope

How about this? Would there be a way to hack the coralife 1w to replace to bulb with a 3w and some optics? That would be awesome if the heat could be kept at bay.

redfishsc

I wouldn't use any of those LED's you posted for actinics. Moonlights, maybe, but not real good for strong actinic supplementation.

You should be able to get an all-blue PAR38 bulb from Nanotuners. Not your cheapest solution, but guaranteed to kick butt!

Mr. Microscope
how about the reefbrite led's

That would be too wide and too costly. I have a JBJ picotope. So, 12 inches is all I need. 11 really.

But, thanks for the suggestion.

Mr. Microscope

How about the 020w T5-R VHO - UVL 454 12" from nanotuners? I think this is the 12 inch actinic T5 bulb. I'd need a very small thing to mount it. Dose anyone make single ballasts?

Reefbrites are the sickest actinic bulbs I have seen to date. My friend has the 48 inchers and they are killer. I am saving up for mine after seeing his.

Mr. Microscope
Reefbrites are the sickest actinic bulbs I have seen to date. My friend has the 48 inchers and they are killer. I am saving up for mine after seeing his.

Cool. But, I think they are too long. Isn't 15 inches the shortest?

Yep. They run the Edison Opto LEDs that we run in our kits and feature Tullio's reflector design. I have a small hand (mostly feedback and some prototyping/cad stuff) in ReefBrites product development because of my friendship with Tullio and Joy, so I usually get my hands on their prototypes or actually build them.

Good stuff. Glad they are catching on.

@microscope guy - hold tight. We may have just the ticket coming sometime soon.

Chris

Mr. Microscope
Yep. They run the Edison Opto LEDs that we run in our kits and feature Tullio's reflector design. I have a small hand (mostly feedback and some prototyping/cad stuff) in ReefBrites product development because of my friendship with Tullio and Joy, so I usually get my hands on their prototypes or actually build them.

Good stuff. Glad they are catching on.

@microscope guy - hold tight. We may have just the ticket coming sometime soon.

Chris

Fantastic! Thanks. Any ETA?

Meengineer0128

I have the more expensive panorama modules, but man what a difference. Just two of them light up the entire 29 gal. biocube, and they are easy to mount and are fully enclosed already so you can mount them directly over the water. The powerbrites (I also have these) are also good, but cannot be mounted directly over water without some type of enclosure to keep moisture from getting into the circuits. The stunner LED Strips are the same way. So if you have an open top, go with the panorama modules. If your looking for 1 it'll run you only about 95.00$.

Archived