SaltCritters.com

Dwank's Official 1.2 Gal. Custom Pico Build Thread!

Dwankmuller

Dwankmuller

Hey Guys,

Ok so now that everyone has given me their Input I'm excited to start building. I have an idea in mind, whether or not it is feasible we will find out.

One other thing Im trying to do is spend under 50 dollars. I have some equipment lying around, and am going to try to use all of that, rather than buy all new stuff. The 50 dollars will most likely go towards a heater and filter. Im hoping to get everything else free/trade for whatever corals I need.

I would tell you guys what my idea is, but I rather just see if you can figure it out along the way:)

Ill try to get more pictures this weekend, assuming I get something done haha.

20100427220541.jpg

Dave

Dwankmuller

oh man more replys on this thread than on my 10 gallon build that has corals and stuff in it! haha...tomorrow when im bored at work Ill try to think of somethin nifty to do with it. Thanks for all the support! Hopefully ill make something cool and wont dissapoint!

20100427222340.jpg

Going in the contest:-p

Welcome to the Pico Methodology Contest. That is a kewl build. If you can get it looking good it will defiantly be a contender for most unique.

You could always go LR and a bunch of say Sexy Shrimp for a BioTope type tank.

Check out this e-bay seller. I have bought from him before. He sells underwater (waterproof) LED lighting in all different lengths and colors. I am sure you could find something to fit inside that tank.

MeasuererExplorer

Dwankmuller

I have 2 options.

1: Overflow box on one side of the tank, with thermometer, pump, chaeto in it.

2: Keep it simple, put a thermometer horizontally in the back, and add a very small filter that pumps 54GPH.

What do you guys think?

Dwankmuller

Very makeshift. And clearly 54GPH is wayy too much...sand is everywhere.

Im already beginning to not want to do this haha. It is gonna be so complicated...damn tube.

20100429191655.jpg

Mr. Microscope

How's the pump working? It seems like it would push everything to one side. I'd like to suggest something if you're a good DIYer. Maybe make it rock back and forth slightly like one of those desktop wave machine things. It should make for some good random currents.

RAVE-WAVE2-unit.gif

Dwankmuller

yeah all the sand is moving all over the place...its quite an epic fail at this point haha. We will see if I do anything further with it...my 10 gallon is taking up alot of time right now.... :(

Oh come now just a minor setback. Use a larger grain sand or a smaller pump. It has a lot of promise for a small species only tank B)

Dwankmuller

I turned the pump down, it doesnt seem to be moving the sand around anymore.

Still just have the tank sitting there...How often do you guys think I should do a water change? Twice a week or so?

Im not going to add anything for at least 2 weeks, I have to cut the rest of the top off the tank, so that there isnt just 1 opening in the middle.

As you can see, there is a strip of rocks down the center. And what I would really like to do is this: From left to right, I want ROYGBIV color zoas. Aka making a rainbow of zoas from left to right. And at the end, I will be putting a "Pot of gold". Havent decided waht that will be yet. And wherever there is sand, I was thinking about putting GSP. But, we will see. Its a fun idea, I just need to work out the logistics of it.

I was also thinking of just letting the sand get wavy, putting in only GSP, and letting is spread so I had a simple mountains and vallys of GSP, and have a mangrove growing out the top. But thats a little too simple, and kind of boring haha.

LMK what you think

Archived