inTank Media Baskets

Molo's ADA 60-P

molo

Molo's 60-P Reef

IMG_2223-1-1.jpg

Summary

I'm fairly new to the aquarium hobby. I began about a year ago with freshwater planted tanks and recently moved to salt water. I started off with a ADA Mini M and quickly got overrun with coral. I then decided to swap my 60-P planted tank with the Mini M. I currently have my coral sitting in the sand bed for the meantime.

Heres a picture of what the tank looked when it was planted.

IMG_1764.jpg

Setup

• ADA 60-P (12x14x24)
    Eheim ECCO 2236
    Ecotech Vortech MP10
    Hydor ETH 300 In line heater
    Current 1/15 Chiller
    Solana Disco Ball Pendant
    Lumatek 250watt Dimmable Ballast/150watt 20K Radium bulb
    ADA inflow & outflow lily pipes

Filtration

• 35 lbs Live Rock
    20 lbs Live Sand
    Chemipure Elite
    Purigen

Livestock

• Margarita Snails
    Astrea Snails
    Cerith Snails
    Nassarius Nails
    Top Crown Snails
    Royal Urchin
    Sexy Shrimp
    Coco Worm
    Red Leg Hermit Crab
    Blue Tang

Coral

• Zoanthids
    Montipora
    Mini Carpet Nem
    Maxi Mini
    Meteor Shower
    Acan
    Chalice
    Yuma Ricordea

Parameters

1. PH 8.2
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    Calcium 500
    Phosphate 0.5
    Magnesium 1500
    KH/ALK 8.0/2.86

LogansRunRx

how do you like ur lumatek ballast... the e-ballast 150/175/250/hqi one, right?

i've had one for about 3 weeks now.

reef look great!

moar pics, pleeze...

The lumatek ballast works really well. You could really tell the difference in power output.

I bought this Maxi Mini from a fellow members and my sexy shrimp decided to host it.

IMG_2229-1.jpg

I have no idea of the name of this montipora, but it sure looks nice.

IMG_2231-1.jpg

Nemo Niblets
I have no idea of the name of this montipora, but it sure looks nice.

IMG_2231-1.jpg

Looks like a cyphastrea.

Great start on saltwater! Looks like you took your time and know what you're doing. Awesome choice on that ballast too.

Your tank reminds me of my tank, except it has corals.

What size lily pipes did you go w/ for the Eheim Ecco?

13mm, I believe they are the V-3 and P-2. What type of filtration are you planning on using on your canister filter?

Cool, thanks. Initially while the tank is cycling and what not, I put the blue and white filter sponges in, as well the carbon sponge, but after all the new tank debris is gone, I'll probably just go w/ bulk carbon and ditch the sponges.

Do your lily pipes make any noise? I was reading that the output creates a small whirlpool at the top of the tank? Does that make any suction noises?

I love the 60-p's. I used to have one as a planted tank a few years ago. Lily pipes are beautiful in freshwater, I would expect them to get covered in coralline pretty quickly in a salt setup tho.

Do your lily pipes make any noise? I was reading that the output creates a small whirlpool at the top of the tank? Does that make any suction noises?

The whirlpool for the P-2 is very minimal. Prior to the P-2 I had the P-4, which is a little larger and it did create a nice whirlpool. Using the P-4 would eliminate the need for a surface skimmer and keep the surface crystal clear. I would have use it instead, but I broke it.

I love the 60-p's. I used to have one as a planted tank a few years ago. Lily pipes are beautiful in freshwater, I would expect them to get covered in coralline pretty quickly in a salt setup tho.

lgreen

I use the ADA pipe cleaner brush about once every two weeks. It only takes me about five minutes tops to clean both pipes.

NaClCrocodile

I assume that's a linkia starfish on your glass. If it is, I'd be careful, they don't usually last long in captivity unless you've got a large tank. A local reefer has had one for 5+ years and he told me that they feed off the film covering the rocks. He's got a very large tank, so it has plenty to munch off, but in a nano, they aren't the best. The tank looks awesome, and suggestions on where to buy those lily pipes? I'm 5 mins away from GLA, and they're cheaper, so I was thinking them, but I have no experience with FW, so I don't know.

Is that supposed to be GSP throwing the shoe at Fedor?

No, its Dana White trowing money at Fedor.

I assume that's a linkia starfish on your glass. If it is, I'd be careful, they don't usually last long in captivity unless you've got a large tank. A local reefer has had one for 5+ years and he told me that they feed off the film covering the rocks. He's got a very large tank, so it has plenty to munch off, but in a nano, they aren't the best. The tank looks awesome, and suggestions on where to buy those lily pipes? I'm 5 mins away from GLA, and they're cheaper, so I was thinking them, but I have no experience with FW, so I don't know.

The starfish is long gone by now. My blue legged hermit crab decided to much on his legs. So I served an eviction letter to the hermit crab. You have two places to buy new ADA lily pipes. One is Aqua Forest Aquariums and the other is ADG. You could also search for used ones at planted tank forums. I have heard good things from GLA pipes they look a little different, but they serve the same purpose.

is that dana white heckling fedor?

Nope, Dana is trowing money at Fedor. It pokes fun at Dana's ill attempts to sign Fedor.

• 1 month later...

Tank update

I added a LED light to the system and couple of corals. My main focus are montiporas and zoas in the tank. I had a bryopsis problem on my frags, but some magnesium cured the problem and it also killed my flatworms. :D

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

Archived