ReefCleaners.org

Considering extreme measures

fxman

I have posted a couple of threads in regards to a new pretty expensive acan not doing so well.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2802841

To sum it up it was doing great in the sellers tank but every since I got it home it has started to decline. I have tried a few different things to no avail. To is starting to recede around the bottom but the top polyps are still intact, not opening but in tact. So I'm thinking of fragging off the top polyps to see if I separate them from the ailing one they will recover. Kinda like removing cancer, maybe the bottom ones are affecting the top. Any thoughts?

When I got it

post-22643-1271893420_thumb.jpg

Now

post-22643-1271893446_thumb.jpg

I cant really see a good one. The flesh is really deflated You could frag and hope for the best but it is mroe trauma so hard to say if its any better or worse off..

sorry not much help I wish you the best,.

Frag off the parts that look unhealthy and dip it in Revive.

I tried this recently with a declining Acan colony and it worked very well.

I will try to find some revive tomorrow. I think i'm going to dip the whole thing fist to see if it shows some progress. If not then I will frag off the bad polyps.

Weetabix:

Where did you put yours after the dip?

Man sometimes having to buy local sucks!!! I just called my LFS to see if they carried Revive. They do :) At 19.95 a bottle :o Online it's no more then 7.99 and as low as 6.50 :angry: Well I guess urgent care cost.

I will try to find some revive tomorrow. I think i'm going to dip the whole thing fist to see if it shows some progress. If not then I will frag off the bad polyps.

Weetabix:

Where did you put yours after the dip?

Well, it's a long story.

How to summarize.....

I was seeing recession on several LPS in my tank and was afraid of some kind of pest invasion.

I dipped ALL of my LPS in Revive and returned them to the tank.

The very next day I took the Acan colony that looked the worst and fragged off everything that looked "iffy" (a few Acan heads hit the trash), dipped in Revive again and put them in a 10g "holding tank" that will eventually be upgraded to a Prop Tank.

I have seen improvement on everything.

There was something going on, on another forum (i don't think links to other forums are allowed) where people were having trouble with LPS, such as acans, chalices etc melting away randomly.

The use of Interceptor stopped the recession, and killed whatever microscopic parasite was affecting the coral.

supposedly, this "parasite"/ailment cannot be seen by the naked eye.

if mods allow, I will post the link to the very large thread on the other forum... if not PM me.

-dan

That's from acclimation to your lighting, in the seller's tank it's at the bottom with some lower light pieces, in yours it's on a frag rack at the top which is way too much for it. Put it under lower light again and you should be good :)

Unfortunately, I ran into this same issue with one of my acan colonies. I bought it with my 24 gallon AP and it was raised in the tank for 3 years. It had 80 heads on it and I ended up having to move the tank twice. When I moved it last I re-aquascaped my tank and the colony was moved only 4 inches closer to the light. It began to deteriate and RTN. I thought about fragging it, but was afraid of the extra tissue damage to the colony. I just did two iodine dips over a period of three weeks and relocated it to my 95 gallon. I was able to save 10 heads and now they're recovering. They've grown to about 20 heads..

I believe that it was the increased lighting and change of flow that caused the colony to RTN... IME, acans tend to do better under lower lighting conditions.

Good luck

Archived