ReefCleaners.org

Saddest Palys Ever!

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hey Guys,

Check out these AOGs I saw at a LFS:

d30a61db.jpg

I just had to grab a pic of them before I left. I've never seen anything so stretched out. These things are starving for light! The big one was at least 5 inches. The pic doesn't really do it justice. I don't think that I will ever be buying livestock from this place. Many of their corals look sad and neglected, but this one takes the cake. At least the rock wasn't covered with algae and aiptasia like the rest of the corals in this tank.

wow, first time I see this. What type of ligth was it? T8?

Also what does AOG stand for?

Hey Guys,

Check out these AOGs I saw at a LFS:

d30a61db.jpg

I just had to grab a pic of them before I left. I've never seen anything so stretched out. These things are starving for light! The big one was at least 5 inches. The pic doesn't really do it justice. I don't think that I will ever be buying livestock from this place. Many of their corals look sad and neglected, but this one takes the cake. At least the rock wasn't covered with algae and aiptasia like the rest of the corals in this tank.

briansbelle

i have a few types of zoas/palys that are tall, not that tall, but they arent flush...

does that mean i need more light? they are in a 50 gallon with 6x39W t5's....

sorry to hijack but i am just curious...

thanks!

briansbelle

oh ok so i moved them up a little bit earlier today, hopefully they shrink down a little...only some get tall, others are nice and flat...

one more question and i will not hijack anymore, promise :)

why is it some of the palys i have are flush and some are tall even though they are in the same place in the tank and get the same amount of light?

thanks!

Mr. Microscope
oh ok so i moved them up a little bit earlier today, hopefully they shrink down a little...only some get tall, others are nice and flat...

one more question and i will not hijack anymore, promise :)

why is it some of the palys i have are flush and some are tall even though they are in the same place in the tank and get the same amount of light?

thanks!

I think perhaps some don't that much. Most small zoas for example. Palys more commonly stretch. Don't quote me on that zoa statement though. It's just what I've observed in my short time in the hobby.

name of the LFS?

I probably shouldn't mention the name, but it's the same place on the east side of manhattan that wanted $60 for a Koralia Nano (I ordered it from Drs. F&S for $15!)!

I don't like them flush either. I like a certain height, like 1/2 inch or so. Flush does not really look nice when there are a few of them close together.

They just need more light.
I just had to grab a pic of them before I left. I've never seen anything so stretched out.

Why did you just grab a pic -- you should have rescued them. :o

well if they were charging 60 for a k nano i cant imagine the price on these i would have just taken a pic as well lol some lfs are simply a disgrace and at times i wish i could just simply rescue their products, but they will just buy more. It is their way of doing business unfortunately its the wrong way of doing business and its sad.

briansbelle
I think perhaps some don't that much. Most small zoas for example. Palys more commonly stretch. Don't quote me on that zoa statement though. It's just what I've observed in my short time in the hobby.

that is what i have noticed too, my zoas are flush and my palys have a stem...

Different Zoas and Palys like different light levels.

Palys naturally have longer stalks than Zoas, but if you see them stretching out that much, it means they want more light and are reaching upwards for it.

Mr. Microscope
Why did you just grab a pic -- you should have rescued them. :o

I don't recall the price, but I think it was $30. Plus, I didn't feel like getting a case of bubble algae.

I have some AOGs. I thought they were Zoas. Are they actually a Paly? Mine are in a 28g with 150w MH and they are over half way up in the tank and they have a long stem. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

Mr. Microscope
I have some AOGs. I thought they were Zoas. Are they actually a Paly? Mine are in a 28g with 150w MH and they are over half way up in the tank and they have a long stem. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

I think they are Palys, though I've read somewhere that true Palys are actually rare. There does, however, seem to be a big difference between some of the common Paly/Zoas that are out there today. The big difference being size of the head, and the stem beneath. AOGs, Magicians, and Mohawks for example have larger heads and stems, where as Tub's Blues, Whammin' Watermelons, and Radioactive Dragon Eyes are small and tight together.

AOG's do seem to stretch a little more than some of the others, but it's interesting that your AOGs are stretched so much under that lighting. Is the bulb new? I imagine they are probably fine. If they get to look like the picture above though, you've got some problems.

I just bought the tank in October. They have been in the tank since November and have been that way almost the entire time. I guess I have about 2 more months until I should replace the bulb.

Archived