Pod Your Reef

Chuilan's 28g nano cube

chuilan

post-46407-1270846607_thumb.jpg

Photo taken at 7 months - April 1, 2010

Tank Established: September 9, 2009

Tank Specifications

Tank: 28g JBJ Nano Cube

Lighting: 150 watt / 20k HQI Metal Halide Ushio Lighting, 4 Blue Nite-Vu LED’s, 2.18 actinic PC retro kit

Circulation: Koralia one, 2 stock powerheads

Temperature stabilizer: stealth heater, currently no chiller yet

Filtration: 25lbs of bali alor rocks and filter floss in basket

Maintenance

Daily: General observation, check water level, check temperature (78 degrees +/- 1 degree), clean glass with mag float (as needed)

Weekly: 5 gallon water change, rinse/replace filter floss, clean outside glass, tooth brush hard to reach places, clean out protein skimmer

Monthly: test water for pH, salinity, phosphates, nitrates/nitrites, alkalinity

Annually: TBD

Fish

Yasha Goby paired with Candy Pistol Shrimp

2 Percula clownfish

1 Fromia Starfish

Corals

Peach Montipora

Birdsnest

Encrusting green montipora

Wellsophyllia brain coral

Frogspawn

Green mushrooms

Orange/purple ricordea

Finger leather coral

Green star polyp

Pulsating Xenia

Green paly

Various Acans

Various Zoanthids

Leather cabbage

Torch coral

Red mushroom with blue dots

Feeding schedule

Feed fish every 3rd day with Formula 1 and 2 (alternate)

Feed corals with Coral Frenzy once a week

Target feed brain coral and acans twice a week with fish eggs

post-46407-1270429175_thumb.jpg

post-46407-1270429137_thumb.jpg

post-46407-1270429149_thumb.jpg

post-46407-1270429208_thumb.jpg

post-46407-1272127736_thumb.jpg

post-46407-1272127824_thumb.jpg

post-46407-1272127958_thumb.jpg

post-46407-1270429165_thumb.jpg

Outstanding job on the tank thread. Glad to see that you were able to navigate through the forum and get this built out. You've got a nice tank going. Love the fact that you have so many photos in your thread. Keep posting!

It is a Fromia starfish I believe...

Chuilan

what type of star fish do you have in there?

tank looks great btw

littlelacho

Sorry to hear about your coral beauty you mentioned on Urbanek's thread. They are beautiful fish. I am going to do more research, because like I said...I've always wanted either the coral beauty or the flame. Just a bit concerned. I will see how it goes once my tank starts getting established. I have a long way to go as I am just cycling ;)

I see you have the 20K ushio and your colors really pop....your tank looks great btw! I was thinking about upgrading my HQI bulb to either the 14K pheonix or the 20K ushio bulb for more of a blue color. The stock bulb is just too white for my taste. I originally was going to do the actinic retro kit from nanotuners but was wondering if I could get by without that (I am not very good with DIY projects lol) and get at least closer to the effect I am going for color wise with just a bulb upgrade. How do you like the ushio over the stock bulb? I see you have the actinic upgrade so I can't tell from your pics if just the ushio will give me the look I want.

I took some quick pics with my iphone on the tank without the actinics on. See if you can tell the difference! As for the comparison between stock vs ushio.....I have no clue.... this is my first saltwater tank and I bought this 28 gallon nanocube from nanotuners fully modified with all of these lights. I am also not a DIY person....lol Have fun with the cycling....it was the most boring time for me!

post-46407-1270825136_thumb.jpg

post-46407-1270825144_thumb.jpg

post-46407-1270825153_thumb.jpg

post-46407-1270825162_thumb.jpg

Chuilan

Sorry to hear about your coral beauty you mentioned on Urbanek's thread. They are beautiful fish. I am going to do more research, because like I said...I've always wanted either the coral beauty or the flame. Just a bit concerned. I will see how it goes once my tank starts getting established. I have a long way to go as I am just cycling ;)

I see you have the 20K ushio and your colors really pop....your tank looks great btw! I was thinking about upgrading my HQI bulb to either the 14K pheonix or the 20K ushio bulb for more of a blue color. The stock bulb is just too white for my taste. I originally was going to do the actinic retro kit from nanotuners but was wondering if I could get by without that (I am not very good with DIY projects lol) and get at least closer to the effect I am going for color wise with just a bulb upgrade. How do you like the ushio over the stock bulb? I see you have the actinic upgrade so I can't tell from your pics if just the ushio will give me the look I want.

littlelacho

Nah, that definitely helps, thanks! I think I am going to go for the upgrade for sure....even with phone pics, you can see that your colors pop. I don't have anything in my tank as of yet to compare but I just have a feeling the stock bulb is going to make my colors look a bit washed out because it is so bright, crisp and white. I could be wrong but I like a little more blue anyway. Thank you! Your tank is looking great!

Sharon

• 1 month later...

Tank looks great. I really like your rockscape and the yasha/pistol pair. Percs too. I just like everything. hah

Drew

Archived