ReefCleaners.org

Water temp. Changing from PC to PAR38 LEDs

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I have a Hydor 25W heater. As of now with my PC lights, I have the heater on its lowest possible setting and my water temp is consistently about 80. I have an 18 Watt Current Satellite and will be switching to the PAR38. The LEDs will not be heating the water at all. Has anyone had this experience? How did you deal with it?

Thanks!

Hello All,

I have a Hydor 25W heater. As of now with my PC lights, I have the heater on its lowest possible setting and my water temp is consistently about 80. I have an 18 Watt Current Satellite and will be switching to the PAR38. The LEDs will not be heating the water at all. Has anyone had this experience? How did you deal with it?

Thanks!

you set the heater to what ever temp you want your tank to run at. It will either keep it at that temp or temp will run low because it cannot keep up. If you set it for 78 and the water is at 76 the heater should be on constantly. if it flicks on...then off...then the setting on the heater is off and you'll have to run the setting up higher to get it to maintain the right temp..same as if it runs high and flicks on and off like it should maintaining temp but then you run the heater lower to get it to maintain the temp you want.

You should always have your heater set even if it never kicks on, they're designed to turn on when needed. Wouldn't the temp drop at night when the lights are out? I would also get a thermometer that records the highest and lowest temp, then you have a good idea of your temperature swings.

Actually, if you have your heater set, and are currently keeping the tank steady at 80°, when you change the lights, you should not need to adjust the heater at all. It will probably just come on more often to keep the water warm.

I have the heater on its lowest possible setting and my water temp is consistently about 80.

Everything else aside, having a conventional analog thermometer set to it's lowest just to get 80F is a bit dangerous. If it starts going bad, and they all do, the temp has no place to go but up.

The good news is that at 25watts it will take a bit of time to cause issues.

18watts of PCs don't generate that much thermal.

Archived