Top Shelf Aquatics

Aioliops megastigma - Mini Dart Goby

DaveFason

I have been thinking of trying a small school of these gobies in my new nano tank. There is not much about them on the web so I figure I would post something here.

Anyone have any experience with them? What food works best and how many feedings?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

Wow, good timing Dave. I just received 19 of these yesterday.

They are insanely cute, very small, and they shoal together in midwater like a group of firefish. So far all they are eating is live baby brine. Other people who have kept them long term tell me rotifers and cyclops may also be taken. I'm also going to try a small larval pellet (Otohime B1), but I have no idea if they will accept it.

In any case I think they will need to have food available at all times. I basically have them in a bare tank with live rock, an airstone, and a culture of baby brine and some drops of phytoplankton to enrich the food. Fish this small that are this active will not do well long term on just a few feedings a day IME.

I've heard that they have a very short lifespan, but info is really scant on them. If anybody has kept them longer than a year it'd be great to hear about.

wombat - Awesome! If you could snap some pictures that would be great. I want to QT these guys for 1-2 months before going in my new tank.

I have been working on a new product that is an automatic chilled food reactor. I am making it for Uhuru on these forums for his NPS tank but it will work perfect for fish like this. I want to feed Arctic pods and cyclo 6-10 times a day and think it would be perfect.

Just curious where did you get them from?

-Dave

Sunken in bellies on all. I think even if they shipped them fat you'd get them a bit skinny. I don't plan on missing any days of feeding any time soon....

All of mine are still alive and kicking. Looks like I will be ordering more of them soon!

The Four Amigos

IMG_4891-vi.jpg

IMG_4892-vi.jpg

IMG_4893-vi.jpg

IMG_4894-vi.jpg

IMG_4901-vi.jpg

-Dave

love those guys, cant wait to see more in with them.

there realy seems to be some progress being made with these little guys.

• 1 month later...

got any more info on them. i may be getting 4 soon and i would like to know if i could get away with 1 feeding a day and if not what is a cheap easy way to feed the consantaly?

animalmaster6

Weeber,

I think it would be tough to get away with one feeding a day.

Maybe you could try an auto feeder.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like everyone that had them have not have success. I am thinking of trying them again and putting them in the NPS tank.

wombat - What were they eating for you?

-Dave

Archived