Cultivated Reef

J6007's 29g Biocube 3 Month Update with New FTS!

J6007

Hi Guys,

I've been reading this forum for a few months now and since then have started a 3g JBJ pico for my cubicle and just a month ago purchased this 29g Biocube off of Craigslist for my wife and I. The seller said he had the tank running for about a year and a half. He sold it to us at a remarkable price and was a huge help during the move so if he's reading this Thanks a lot!. Sadly we lost a yellow coris wrasse during the move but surprisingly just about everything else survived. Here's are pics from the seller's ad:

Old_FTS_2.jpg

And here's a pic one a day after the move when the water cleared up:

IMG_96571.jpg

And here's one with everything open:

IMG_9727.jpg

Here's some of the livestock that came with the tank any help IDing the rest would be great!:

Fish/Inverts:

(2) True Percula Clowns

(1) Yellow Coris Wrasse - RIP

(1) Yellow Watchman Goby

(2) Fire shrimp

(2) Hermit crabs - 1 red legged, 1 with blue striped legs (ID?)

(2) Random hitchiker crabs

(1) Feather Duster

Corals:

SPS -

Bird's nest

LPS -

Sun coral colony

Aussie Duncan colony

Galaxia colony

Brown ball (ID?)

Brain looking (ID?)

White Gorgonian (ID?)

Crocea Clam

Green acan (ID?)

Softies:

Giant brown yuma (ID?)

Blue snowflake clove polyps

Green star polyps (we call it the donut)

Nuclear greens

Purple deaths

Orange zoas (ID?)

Xenia (ID?)

Anthelia

Other various zoas and palys that I don't know the names of (ID?)

Other various cloves (ID?)

Being new in this hobby and wanting to give the tank our own personalized touch, we've stocked up a bit. Since then we've added:

Livestock:

(1) Royal Gramma

(1) Purple Firefish

(1) Midas Blenny

(2) Trocchus snails

(1) Peppermint shrimp - RIP (disappeared for 3 days now)

(1) Harlequin shrimp

Corals:

Various zoas and palys

Orange Florida Ricordea

Teal Ricordea (ID?)

Neon clove polyps

Purple mushrooms

Dendrophilia

Neon green trumpets

That's all for now, I'll post more pictures when I can. We certainly have many more questions regarding some of those problems mentioned above and the recent decline in some our coral.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so here are some updates and a new FTS.

We lost our royal gramma to swim bladder disease. The other fish are still in QT and had a bout of bacterial infections we treated with Melafix. Tail fins were seperating and lesions appeared on our purple firefish. So far, the recovery has been speedy so I would definitely recommend Melafix for treating these symptoms.

We made some changes to the aquascape and added a few new corals. The rescaping wasn't planned as we were just looking for a zoanthid frag that wasn't glued on properly. We ended up finding it and the new scape looks better in our opinion so it was almost worth the three hour ordeal. Since last week we added frags of dragon eye zoanthids and blue zoanthids.

Here's the latest pic:

post-51673-1269846031_thumb.jpg

wow thats a good looking tank! as for your sun coral keep an eye on your params and keep some water ready in case you need to do a w.c. it should bounce back.

• 2 months later...

It's been 3 months since I last updated. Since then, our fish have no longer have ich after undergoing hyposalinity treatment and are back in the display tank. Our sun coral has also recovered quite a bit. We've made a few upgrades in equipment adding a chiller, ato, and new T5 bulbs. We've also added a considerable amount of new frags as you can see in our latest FTS:

post-51673-1277790961_thumb.jpg

Archived