alkalinty 450

salinty 1.024

ph 8.4

dosing

Kent chromaplex( not dosings anymore)

kent liquid calcium (daily)

post-48290-1268081865_thumb.jpg

post-48290-1268081874_thumb.jpg

It's that green because of the phytoplankton dosing. You have created an algae soup.

Quit with the dosing, you only need to dose calcium if you keep corals which use it to build their skeletons. Why do you want to dose phyto to an empty tank?

RO/DI water with good salt mix.

More rock, more flow.

Run some filter floss in the regent instead of the skimmer and throw it away twice a day to try and clear up the water. Walmart polyfil, the NOT the flame retardent stuff is a popular choice on here for that.

Good luck.

And turn the lights off for a few days and leave the window blinds closed. Move the tank away from the window if possible.

I just read your other threads, have you removed the fish and coral?

this is a brand new tank i drilled my last one and the back cracked i put all my stuff in a ten gallon then the bottom of it cracked leaked all the water out put all my stuff in a cooler and all of it got boiled.

only things in it are whats on the list.

my 25$ diy skimmer is owning everything one whisper air pump $8 a 12$ filter and 5$ air stone diy bottle and cup. pure brown liquid day two look. i put a lotta holes in the bottom so water is constantly running thru it its a 25 dollar recirculating diy skimmer.

At light start up

post-48290-1268154634_thumb.jpg

post-48290-1268154905_thumb.jpg

stopped with the pytho and its really clearing up. Added a big rock and im done with the live rock onto corals, and fish anyone know about yellow gobies and a pair of clowns maybye im kinda bored with clowns maybe something diffrent like a small niger trigger fish would these get along well together?

uh its already in now but i dont think theres any metal in it. i guess ill see how it goes. looks just like those on the link.

did a weak 2 water change new params

salinity 1.025

ntrat .10

nitrate 0

alk 450

ph 8.2

post-48290-1268258403_thumb.jpg

Could well be, the other rocks are ancient coral reefs and I understand Texas Hill Country is limestone.

Leave it alone for a few weeks and do some research. Snails are the best thing to add first.

The trigger fish comment is trollish.

Looking for something to put in this, currently looking to do this any thoughts?

2 (black) ocelarius clowns and one anenome

some sps on my top ridge

some shrooms and an acan

This would be it with the exception :

a Yellow Bleeny or a goby in the future for fun mostly they are they most persaniltal fish in my opinoin.

Your fish choice is good in that you don't want to add too many/too large fish. This tank is not ready for SPS and definately not ready for an anemone. I read that over 90% of anemones sold die within a year of purchase. Don't add too much livestock at a time and start with the hardier creatures.

Plan for 2010:

Research a CUC.

Add more CUC.

Wait and learn.

Hardy soft corals, mushrooms... Interchangeable with Hardy Fish if you prefer.

Wait and learn.

Hardy fish.

Wait and learn some more.

LPS, Acans, Frogspawn...

More waiting.

Hardy SPS.

More learning.

Think about whether you still want that anemone.

Buy yourself that anemone for Christmas.

Remember nothing good happens fast. This tank may have passed through the initial nitrogen cycle but is still far from stable. You will see this as populations of various species come and go over the next few months. Algae, pods, hydroids.....

Is the water good and clear now?

I've got a question about your alk test. What kit are you using? Can you post a picture of it?

The reason I ask is to do with the units.

It is quite clear ill let you guys see

havent started dosing for alk i left my money at home last time i went to the lfs.

I havent bought a kit that will test for alk, yet.

salinity 1.025

ntrat .10

nitrate 0

alk 450

ph 8.2

So that's actually a calcium test then?

No actually that's what i need my test kit (dip sticks) tests for alkalinty which always reeds fine.

I guess the calciums fine coraline has been intensing and ive just been going by the directions for dosing.

I have a update new addition

Cheato in filter mini fuge

emerald crab tiny named emmy

2 snails one of the origanlal pual died today due to being sucked into a powerhead

one mushroom rock about 10 mushrooms blue and purple colored

some tiny sps on my live rockV

post-48290-1268845433_thumb.jpg

post-48290-1268845451_thumb.jpg

post-48290-1268845474_thumb.jpg

salinity 1.025

ntrat .10

nitrate 0

alk 450

ph 8.2

I've got a question about your alk test. What kit are you using? Can you post a picture of it?

The reason I ask is to do with the units.

havent started dosing for alk i left my money at home last time i went to the lfs.

I havent bought a kit that will test for alk, yet.

So that's actually a calcium test then?
No actually that's what i need my test kit (dip sticks) tests for alkalinty which always reeds fine.

I guess the calciums fine coraline has been intensing and ive just been going by the directions for dosing.

????????????

What are the units of the alkalinity on the test strip? Post a photo of the packet of the test kit. Are you sure it is designed for salt water? Something doesn't add up.....

If you are dosing Calcium you need to test for it as well. Instructions on a bottle are just a general guide.

The mini fuge is probably a good idea. What's in the other hang on back filter?

lakshwadeep

It sounds like the alkalinity units are ppm CaCO₃ (calcium carbonate). Dividing by 50 to get in units of meq/L would give 9 meq/L, which sounds wrong since the normal range is 2.5-4 meq/L. Dip sticks are rarely accurate tests...

What kind of bulb do you have on the metal halide? Your tank looks very yellow.

i guess i need to get a better test kit. ill give a pic of the thing. The othr hang on bck filter is tskimmer theres a pic, The bulb is a regular halide i ordered a 20k bulb but hasnt arrived yet.

.....9 meq/L, which sounds wrong.....

This is why I asked if it was a calcium test, Calcium of 450ppm is more realistic, especially as you are dosing some. (By the way alkalinity units ppm CaCO₃ have nothing to do with actual calcium levels, you still need a calcium test kit).

+1 For test strips not being accurate.

Sorry, I meant what's in the box behind the powerhead?

Archived