Top Shelf Aquatics

Arties Minimalist Pico

Artie1a

I was planning on doing a bigger tank but when I caught wind of this dandy little contest ( The Unofficial Methodology Contest ) I couldn't resist the urge. The plan is to keep it simple as far as equipment is concerned.. I will not be using any filtration as of now. All natural. I'm trying to use equipment that isn't in use that I have laying around. My only purchase will be a tank to get this thing kicking off.

Equipment

5 gallon AGA 16 x 8 x 10

Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10

50 Watt Aquaclear Heater

Current USA 18" T5 Light 40 Watts

Stock

11lbs. Indo Pacific Live Sand

8 Lbs. Tonga Live Rock

The Plan

For the natural filtration I will be stocking ornamental macro algae's in the display to absorb nutrients. I'm trying to think of a way to add some cheato too in the back of the tank to hide equipment but so it stays put. Perhaps some sort of rod running through it will work, or maybe not use the cheato at all.

I plan on stocking a few SPS corals, but really not sure what yet. It all depends on what my light will support. I believe I should have adequate lighting for some of them (40 watt T5). I also will stock a few ricordeas and maybe even a clam.

P1000751.JPG

P1000767.JPG

It has life

Wish I had an MP10 laying around not in use :huh:

No kidding: a Koralia and a bunch of useless plastic brackets are the extent of the aquarium stuff I have lying around. :P You got a 20" sunpod kicking around in the closet too? :)

Well I got every size of aqua clear filter and a bunch of other stuff but I could use an MP10 for my 9 gallon build I'm trying to finish (was put on hold for the pico lamp)

Most of the stuff was bought for my 10 gallon when i first started, but have upgraded since then. The only exception was the MP10. I would have loved to use it in the10 gallon tank, but i couldn't get in a place that made me happy without rearranging. I just couldn't go messing with what seems perfect just to add the pump. I knew i would eventually use it.

Added 11lbs. of live sand and aqua. The tank is currently holding 4 gallons of water. I might take a little sand out if it becomes a problem blowing around. I think i need as much sand depth as possible to help reduce nitrates.

P1000756.JPG

P1000759.JPG

P1000760.JPG

P1000761.JPG

I think i need as much sand depth as possible to help reduce nitrates.

I've heard that you need at least 6 inches for there to be any effect on nitrate, so this may not be feasible for a pico. (The theory is that any less than that and there is too much oxygen for the proper bacteria to thrive.) WCs all the way...

I've heard that you need at least 6 inches for there to be any effect on nitrate, so this may not be feasible for a pico. (The theory is that any less than that and there is too much oxygen for the proper bacteria to thrive.) WCs all the way...

remote bucket DSB might do the trick, if you go that way

remote bucket DSB might do the trick, if you go that way

I always thought you need only 3 inches of sand for this. It doesn't really matter anymore anyways. I just added a 8lb. piece of live rock to my 4 gallons of water which now brings me down to less than 3.5 gallon of water. I need to remove some sand now to get the rock to sit a little lower in the tank. The macro algae i plan on using in the display should do the trick.

I just added added 8lbs. of tonga live rock. I think it locks pretty awesome. I also had to add a little Duetto in-tank filter to help clear up what appears to be silt in the water. Once everything clears up to my liking i will be removing it for good ( I hope). I also added a seachem ammonia alert thing in the tank just to monitor ammonia levels. I'm just too lazy to test every couple of days. I also have a little heater issue that i would like some input on. I have about 1.5 degree temp fluctuation. I believe this is mostly because of my programmable thermostat in my house changing temps at night/day and when were not home. I have tried various heaters in my other tank and they all seem to have about the same fluctuations in temp. Is this common? Do you think this 1.5 degree difference in the pico is going to be detrimental?

A few shots from different sides of the tank.

P1000766.JPG

P1000763.JPG

P1000765.JPG

1.5 degrees should not be harmful because in the wild, a coral reef will be just a tad colder at night. i say anything over 3 degrees swing everyday might affect something, but what really kills things is 10 degree and above shifts.

My pico is around 78F at night, going up to 80F in the day because my PC fixture is the Coralife one (uber hot)

I think you'll be OK, and I love that rockwork!

I also had to add a little Duetto in-tank filter to help clear up what appears to be silt in the water. Once everything clears up to my liking i will be removing it for good ( I hope).

I also have a little heater issue that i would like some input on. I have about 1.5 degree temp fluctuation.

The little Duetto filter will be a good item to have laying around. If you can figure out how to run chemi-pure elite or purigen in it you could always run it on the tank for a week once a month just to "polish" the water a bit. Or use it on a when needed basis.

1.5 degree fluctuation should not be an issue. I think it is probably due more to tank volume compared to heater size.

The heater turns on and the tank temp rises a degree or so and then the heater thermostat turns off. Problem is by now the heater tube is warm and still warming the water. So the actual temp keeps rising another degree or so even know the heater is off. The smaller the tank volume and the bigger the heater the more pronounced this will be. Really if it's only one degree I wouldn't worry.

I think you'll be OK, and I love that rockwork!

Not much rock work. Thats what i call plug-n-play rock work. :D

The heater turns on and the tank temp rises a degree or so and then the heater thermostat turns off. Problem is by now the heater tube is warm and still warming the water. So the actual temp keeps rising another degree or so even know the heater is off. The smaller the tank volume and the bigger the heater the more pronounced this will be. Really if it's only one degree I wouldn't worry.

I understand that .I'm talking about room temperature changes fluctuating my tank temp. But if it's not a problem, then it really isn't a issue.

I understand that .I'm talking about room temperature changes fluctuating my tank temp. But if it's not a problem, then it really isn't a issue.

I don't think it's the room temp. My room temp goes from 60 degrees during the day when nobody's home to 72 degrees at night when me and my son are home. Tank stays between 79.9 - 80.1 consistent (I've snuck home during work to check B) ...... shhhh don't tell the boss :unsure: ). Only difference is I have a RKL controlling the temp instead of letting my 50w heater in a 1.5g system control the temp.

I don't think it's the room temp. My room temp goes from 60 degrees during the day when nobody's home to 72 degrees at night when me and my son are home. Tank stays between 79.9 - 80.1 consistent (I've snuck home during work to check B) ...... shhhh don't tell the boss :unsure: ). Only difference is I have a RKL controlling the temp instead of letting my 50w heater in a 1.5g system control the temp.

I don't know what a RKL is. So are you thinking i need a smaller heater?

I don't know what a RKL is. So are you thinking i need a smaller heater?

RKL is a Reefkeeper Lite controller which has more accurate control over a heater then the standard heater thermostat.

Smaller heater ?? No, not really (1.5 degree swing is acceptable) just helping you understand where the problem is most likely coming from.

The tank has been running for a little more than a week now. My water parameters are as follows:

PH 8.3

alk 11dkh

Ammonia 0 as far as the seachem ammonia alert indicates

Nitrites 0

Nitrates < 5 mg, was at 10 2days ago

calcium 300 mg, trying to bring that up with purple up, not sure if the stuff is very good.

I have been using seachem stability to try and move things along a bit for a week. I'm really not sure if it is working or just giving me false readings. To test things out while using it i added a little zebra hermit from my other tank. It seems to be doing well so far. No severe diatom outbreak yet, just a little on the rock and equipment. I expect it to pick up any day now. I'd rather it didn't but it is probably inevitable.

I always thought you need only 3 inches of sand for this. It doesn't really matter anymore anyways. I just added a 8lb. piece of live rock to my 4 gallons of water which now brings me down to less than 3.5 gallon of water. I need to remove some sand now to get the rock to sit a little lower in the tank. The macro algae i plan on using in the display should do the trick.

Yeah, should be interesting how much water mine will hold after I get Mt. Wannahockaloogie built :wacko: I do like the look of your sand, I've been considering mixing Hawaiian Black with Figi Pink.

Yeah, should be interesting how much water mine will hold after I get Mt. Wannahockaloogie built :wacko: I do like the look of your sand, I've been considering mixing Hawaiian Black with Figi Pink.

I might have overdone it on the rock size. But there is really not much you can do about it once it leaves the store, unless you want to break out the chisel. I think the pink and the black mix will look awesome. You seem to be full of great ideas.

I might have overdone it on the rock size. But there is really not much you can do about it once it leaves the store, unless you want to break out the chisel.

Chisel and grinder are a reefers best friends. ;)

In Nano/Pico reefs I am totally into the hand grinder. If the LR doesn't fit exactly perfect --- grind away --- it will. ;)

Broke out the grinder again the other night for my 9g. Will have to break out the grinder on Hawke's pico lamp so I can easily get a nimble magnet between the rock and front wall. (Will grind on the back end so it fits better)

• 5 weeks later...

Work has been kind-of hectic lately so I haven't had a chance to update my tank status for awhile. First off, as my tank has evolved I decided I really can't call my tank a minimalist tank anymore. I have too much rock and sand in this thing to call it that anymore. The plan always seems to change once you start adding things.

This is what has been added to date:

4 Dwarf Cerith

1 Zebra Hermit (deceased)

1 Yellow Tail Damsel

1 Flowerpot Coral

1 Frog-spawn Coral

1 Green Bird-nest Coral

2 Sexy Shrimp

1 Red Algae Macro ( not doing well at all )

1Caulperpa Prolifera Macro (growing like gangbusters)

1 Violet Flames Macro

My original intentions were to run the tank with no filter, however, after removing it the tank looked like crap so I think the duetto filter is here to stay for the time being. I don't think I have any other options except an internal filter because of the mp 10 on the back of the tank ( tank is set-up long ways). Any ideals on a possible solution to the filtration?

Not a good pic

P1000796.JPG

Archived