inTank Media Baskets

Safe Transition from 18W PC to PAR38

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

So while I'm waiting for my PAR38 to come over via ocean freight from China to California, then across the continent to NYC, I figured that this would be a good time to do some research about acclimating my corals to the new light. I've read a few articles. One stated that doing it too fast could lead to problems including bleaching. I'd be very interested to hear from some of the lighting experts here and get your opinion on the best/safest way to go about this transition. Note: Tank is a 3 Gallon JBJ Picotope.

Here's what I've got:

18W 10,000K Current Satellite PC

Switching to:

Evil66 PAR38 20,000K with 80 degree optics

I'm imagining that this will be quite a change in illumination. Perhaps starting out with the light somewhat higher from the tank (12-18 inches?) and slowly bring it down to a more regular height for these optics (6 inches) would be best. I also thought I might try to use the 9W PC JBJ picotope stock light to try to cool down the 20,000K a little (strictly for aesthetics, nothing to do with safe transition). Though I'm not sure if it will make much, if any impact verses the power of the PAR38.

I figured that the 80 degrees would be better for my 3 gallon setup since I'm not planning to do too much SPS (though that may change). Right now I have mostly softies. I read that the zoas and mushrooms tend to get a little smaller and brighter under these lights.

Finally, is this a silly Noob question? Should I just rip out the Current Satellite and slap on the PAR38 and stop worrying about it already!? ;)

Thanks for your input!

you are going to want to mount it higher than you would regularly mount it or use some layers of mesh over the tank to dim the lighting and slowly remove them over the span of a week or 2 until the corals are properly adjusted

you are going to want to mount it higher than you would regularly mount it or use some layers of mesh over the tank to dim the lighting and slowly remove them over the span of a week or 2 until the corals are properly adjusted

Good advice.

Keep in mind that the PAR 38 will be at least 10x stronger than the light you currently have over your tank.

You might want to move your Mushrooms to shaded areas in the tank, like under rock ledges.

The 80 degree lenses will greatly reduce that light output, but it still will be stronger than what is currently running. Now, if 40 degree lenses were being used, severe precautions would need to be taken.

Mr. Microscope

How will I know when they are fully adjusted? Will they show any sign that they are ready, or only if they are damaged. If they are damaged, what will that look like? Thanks.

Archived