Cultivated Reef

AC70 HOB and tank water level

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

So, I'm a member of the JBJ Picotope + AC70 Mod club. The AC70 hangs down quite far into the tank. Considering the tank is only 3 gallons, every centimeter counts. I normally have the water level in the tank so that it is just below the filter output and the water falls approximately a half inch before it hits the surface of the water. My question is, would it really make a difference if I had the water level above the bottom of the output so that there was no water fall? The difference in water is approximately .75 liters.

Thanks!

circusordie16

agreed, in a smalls system and additional water volume is a good thing. i have my water level all the way up so that there isnt any waterfall. this makes it quieter and no splashing means less salt creep.

My picos are filled so that when the HOB filters are turned off the water in the display is about 1/8" from overflowing. The more water you can get in there the better IMO.

Mr. Microscope
My picos are filled so that when the HOB filters are turned off the water in the display is about 1/8" from overflowing. The more water you can get in there the better IMO.

That's a good consideration and would be easy to figure out since I turn off the filter during water changes.

Archived