Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

jbj filter media basket set up

Neb123

so i took out all of the stock media for the filter basket, it says in the manual that you can put chaeto in the filter basket to make a fuge but i feel like leaving the back compartment open without the filter basket would make a better fuge? Im just wondering how you guys have your filter set up, i am currently using the filter basket with purigen and filter floss but thats it,i have chaeto in the main display but i want to move it into the filter and was wondering if i should add it to the filter basket or just an open compartment.

so i took out all of the stock media for the filter basket, it says in the manual that you can put chaeto in the filter basket to make a fuge but i feel like leaving the back compartment open without the filter basket would make a better fuge? Im just wondering how you guys have your filter set up, i am currently using the filter basket with purigen and filter floss but thats it,i have chaeto in the main display but i want to move it into the filter and was wondering if i should add it to the filter basket or just an open compartment.

If you want to add chaeto to the media basket, you will need a light that hits the back of the tank. Without light the chaeto will not thrive. Also, with the addition of a light you still will not get good light penetration with the current media basket not being clear. I built a DIY media basket that is clear. This with a small light on the back of the tank and you can grow chaeto and have a nice fuge effect on the nano. See link for my DIY media basket. This basket is also bigger than the stock basket which increases the amount of water that is forced down your media basket. Feel free to PM with questions.

http://members.cox.net/urbanekfamily/Build%206.jpg

If you want to add chaeto to the media basket, you will need a light that hits the back of the tank. Without light the chaeto will not thrive. Also, with the addition of a light you still will not get good light penetration with the current media basket not being clear. I built a DIY media basket that is clear. This with a small light on the back of the tank and you can grow chaeto and have a nice fuge effect on the nano. See link for my DIY media basket. This basket is also bigger than the stock basket which increases the amount of water that is forced down your media basket. Feel free to PM with questions.

http://members.cox.net/urbanekfamily/Build%206.jpg

cool thanks for the tip, i have a nice HOB LED light made for small fuges, ill def check your DYI out, i was considering making one myself so i can skip a few steps and just look at yours =D

cool thanks for the tip, i have a nice HOB LED light made for small fuges, ill def check your DYI out, i was considering making one myself so i can skip a few steps and just look at yours =D

If you decide not to build one and want to buy one, let me know. I can make you one that is identical for $30. Once you buy acrylic, glue, etc you will be in a DIY for about $25.

I have the clear basket that came with the CFQuad and am running floss, chaeto, then small bags of purigen and chemipure.

My LFS has the JBJ clear baskets for about $25

This is probably a dumb question, but...

Where should i putting my media ? Should the filter floss go on bottom or on top ? My plan was filter floss on bottom, cheato in the middle, and chemi-pure/purigen on top. Is this the right way to go or do I have them mixed up ?

I go just the opposite of that. Floss up top then chaeto then chempure/purigen on the bottom. The idea being the floss gets the big stuff so the algae and other media don't get all gunked up which will keep them from working as well.

I did have it setup that way originally. They say to leave it up top so it has room to grow. I found that my chaeto was getting filled up with crud and wouldn't stay in the basket.

Since I am not looking to use chaeto as my primary mechanical filter I put in in the middle chamber. That’s also the same reason why I don’t have it on the bottom as it would grow out of the bottom of the basket.

For me anyway as long as I check the basket once a week to make sure its not too crowded than everything works great and has never over grown.

All that said is if there is one little nugget of advice I can pass along it’s that there is no right or wrong way to do most things. You’ll read a lot of stuff by people who sound like they know what they are talking about and swear that it’s this way or no way. So read a lot from more than one website, ask people in your area and in the end whatever works for you is what’s best.

All that said is if there is one little nugget of advice I can pass along it’s that there is no right or wrong way to do most things. You’ll read a lot of stuff by people who sound like they know what they are talking about and swear that it’s this way or no way. So read a lot from more than one website, ask people in your area and in the end whatever works for you is what’s best.

I agree. The hobby itself is continuos experimentation and basically evolves. I am waiting on my tank which will have a 10 gallon sump. IMHO, all of the AIO tanks have way too little room in the filtration section to achieve any really good results. Will definitely post pictures of my modified tank in due time.

Archived