SaltCritters.com

It's a new baby..something

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

So, I saw this guy pop out of my substrate today. He was near none of my corals aside from some mushrooms. It appears to have a brown skirt and possibly white/blue in the middle. It retracts like a zoa when I touch it. I didn't want it to get burried or lost so I scooped it up into a little plastic container in my tank. If it is a zoa, I have nothing that looks anything like it in my tank. The zoas in my tank are green/brown skirts, Wham'n Watermellons, RDEs, and AOGs. Is it possible I had some sexual reproduction in my tank?

Any ideas?

paly.jpg

Also, though I'm sure this is unrelated, my toadstool leather was closed up today when I got in and has been all day. Everything looks fine and water parms are good. So, I'm guessing that it's going through it's shedding cycle.

Mr. Microscope
looks like a button polyp to me. I had them as hitchhikers.

I wonder where it came from. I haven't put anything new in my tank in a few weeks, and those were straight zoas, freshly cut. Before that, it was about a month ago that I added anything.

I wonder where it came from. I haven't put anything new in my tank in a few weeks, and those were straight zoas, freshly cut. Before that, it was about a month ago that I added anything.

A friend of mine had a similar issue and couldn't find any until he saw a few peeking around the back corner of one of his rocks. He picked it up and found about 100 polyps back there, which slowly took over his tank once they made their way to the front. When they run out of space they can bud off sometimes...

Archived