Innovative Marine Aquariums

n0rk's LEDPico Experiment Bonanza

n0rk

YES! That's right, I've come to the da... uhh... small side. Saw the contest threat and thought it seemed like a viable time to put a few "concepts" (ie. methods adopted on much larger systems with success) into practice. Many will call me a nutter, and I'm cool with that... but it'd be nice to be able to prove success can be had using the technologies I've got in mind on very small systems.

• Display Tank: Ended up with a 5g AGA. Siliconed in a false wall which will contain skimmer, circulation pumps, and carbon. There will be one pump to move water around the top in a gyre fashion, and one below it which will be diffuse around the base.
  • Circulation: Regular ol' powerheads for now. Likely in the ballpark of 1000L/h and 500L/h, as not only is this a test of viability, but of efficiency. Given the planned display space, 1500L/h should give me roughly 90x circulation, allowing for inevitable pump losses.
  • Lighting: DIY CREE XP-G/XP-E LED fixture. 1000mA. 5 XP-G R4 Cool Whites, and 4 XP-E Royal Blues.
  • Filtration: This is where the insane part comes into it. I've got a few ideas kicking around my head, but for this one I'd dearly like to test the viability of ZEOvit on a much smaller system than it is typically applied to. I'll already have all the gear to do so, and I figure this is a great chance to see how it goes. Other than, around 1kg of fresh LR and a 1.25" sand bed will be used. Reef Octopus Module Nano skimmer will be used.
  • Livestock Selection: Primarily Acropora sp. and Montipora sp. corals, perhaps mixing in some Stylophora sp. to the mix. CUC will be handled by a pair of hermits, and perhaps a few shrimp depending on my mood. Possibly either a Yellowtail Damselfish or a Gobiodon sp. to add movement.

That's as much clarity as I've got for now, I'll post more details as it unfolds. Either way, I can see this is gonna be a fun build...

:scarry:

Buy list so far:

• AquaOne "Goldfish Learner Kit" Tank Kit - $21 (includes filter, tank, gravel, water conditioner, food)
  • AquaOne 500L/h Powerhead - $12
  • AquaOne 300L/h HOB - $8
  • Caribsea Aragonite - $3
  • 2.2lb cured premium Live Rock - $8
  • Thermometer - $2
  • 24VDC 2.5A PSU - $40
  • Other various LED equipment - $110
  • RUNNING TOTAL: $234

Stock list so far:

• Acropora sp., "Pistachio"
  • Acropora sp., "Sunset"
  • 3x Hermits
  • Peppermint Shrimp - $12
  • Euphyllia glabrescens
  • Euphyllia divisia (hermit crab attack)
  • Euphyllia parancora
  • Trachyphyllia geoffroyi
  • Cycloseris tenuis (Euphyllia sting)
  • Duncanopsammia axifuga
  • Acanthastrea spp.
  • Blastomussa spp. (Euphyllia sting)
  • Caulastrea sp.
  • Fungia sp. (anemone sting)
  • Zoanthus sp.
  • Palythoa sp.
  • Pachyclavularia sp.
  • Discosoma sp.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot, mate :happy: I'm gonna build a mini ZEO Rx specifically for the purpose, I'm thinking I'll probably end up using something like an M&M's Mini tube and then instead of pumping it, shake it. Most will think I'm insane... I guess we'll find out in about 12 months or so if I truly am or not! :lol:

Can't wait to see a pico ZEOvit system in action. This will add one more dimension as to what works best for a long term pico.

Nah, 'twould be quite unfair.. since mine would blow all the competition out of the water (lol, that's kinda reef related). :P

HHHmmmm --- come now -- in this contest we are not scared of competition. Pony up and make a pico system. You have till April 30th so there really is no excuses. Would love a little more competition.

Nah, 'twould be quite unfair.. since mine would blow all the competition out of the water (lol, that's kinda reef related). :P

Perhaps you should jump in and prove that..... :)

Awwww, that's weak Kim! I was hoping to wrastle you.. reef style :( Next time, Miss Kim, NEXT TIME!!

Now, without further something something cake, the beast:

IMG_7814.jpg

:naughtydance:

Nice to see some more competition. Gald to have you. I am a member on that RTAW forum. Good forum you guys have there. I like it here and there. RC is just a bunch of forum nazis. The mods suck over there. They are on some kind of power trip. I try to stay away, problem is, there are a bunch from the local clubs that use there for their communications. Good luck, Mark

What's your name over on RTAW? I've probably seen you around! :) RC was a little over the top for me sometimes... not so much with their modding, but the actual people - because I've always reefed on a shoestring my experience is vastly different from the majority of people on there who won't even give you the time of day if you're not rocking Starphire, 1000W lights and a Bubble King in the sump. It's just all so... unnecessary and superfluous.

Good luck to you too, mate!

What's your name over on RTAW? I've probably seen you around! :) RC was a little over the top for me sometimes... not so much with their modding, but the actual people - because I've always reefed on a shoestring my experience is vastly different from the majority of people on there who won't even give you the time of day if you're not rocking Starphire, 1000W lights and a Bubble King in the sump. It's just all so... unnecessary and superfluous.

Good luck to you too, mate!

Same as here, Deep Thief, I am that on all the forums I am on. I only joined a couple of months ago. I don't want to step on anyones toes over there, so I only post when I am damn sure of what I am talking about. I don't want to be too much of an outsider. Sometimes it takes a bit to figure things out, as you all do thing a little different from us over here. Its all good, just a little different. One thing I really like that you all do do different, you seem to do a very wide tank. Front to back that is. This is definately the better way to go but it hasn't really caught on here for some reason. Right now, there seems to be a trend toward cubes and shallow tanks here. Hell, I did the shallow 15 years ago. Thats old hat now. Most of yours over there are a minimum of 24" wide, I like that. I may just make my own next and follow your trend. I will look you up over there, Do you have the same screen there also? Cheers, Mark

You found me! I think the reason we all go so deep front-to-back with our systems is we've all had a different introduction to reefs than most of the people in the US. Where you guys have all been exposed to reefs through the wall-of-rock tanks of the 80s and 90s that people set up out of "necessity", we've all pretty-much had our exposure to actual reefs. It changes your perspective on things a bit ;) personally, I'm thinking my next big tank after the one I'm about to plumb up will be like... 5x3x2', 3' front-to-back is INSANE. Maybe even a 5x4x2', depends what I can actually fit.

Just got done with the first mods for the tank - adding in a 3mm acrylic false wall, and painting 2.33 sides of the tank (back + side + 1/3 of front) black. The seam for the false wall wasn't anywhere as neat as it could've been... but then again I DID have to run the bead with my finger and pump the tube by pushing on top of a screwdriver (some bastard stole my caulking gun and nozzle :konk:). For what I had to do to do it, it turned out pretty damn well, I think. And yes, the paint is still fresh... like 15 seconds fresh at that point.

IMG_7819.jpg

Decided it's not going on top of the TV anymore. Instead, it will be just beside the doorway on an old tank stand I was trying to sell. This has three benefits; 1) much easier access to both the tank and power sources, 2) much better cooling properties given it's now positioned beside a south-facing window (our breeze comes from the south), and 3) catching sunlight for the first 5 or so hours of the day as well. I feel these will aid in the success of the system.

Once I plumb in the powerhead how I want it (I've got an unusual idea for it...) and work out positioning, I'm gonna kick off the cycle. It's all gonna happen fast, I hope!

Cheers!

I just worked out how I'm gonna run my ZEOlites. Basically, I was originally gonna plumb an in-line reactor off of the circulation pump with the flow turned right back... but couldn't quite work out how. Just now I discovered an old HOB filter... then it hit me, what a HOB does is essentially the same principle, just in a different application. As a result, I've decided to run my carbon passively in the sump area and the rocks in a HOB (probably an AC30 or so) and I'll stir them with something once or twice a day. I don't know why I didn't think of that before now...

Either way, it's in progress! Hopefully getting some parts for the LED day after tomorrow. I've wired up the heatsink for it (need to get a pot to regulate speed), works a treat. So much so I'm using it as a person fan right now... ;) hopefully also get sand and rock for it shortly too. Basically I want to have it starting the cycle as soon as possible, and perhaps sitting fallow for a while as I get the other goodies for it (ZEO stuff, skimmer) and then start stocking up on mein Acroporids. I think I'll get a Banded Coral Goby and a pair of Sexy Shrimp now too, given the size is bigger than I expected.

:scarry:

Looks like this will be an interesting setup. Feb. 1st can't get here fast enough!

You should sign up! Who knows, maybe your pico will be the next pico that everyone copycats from because it did so well! Plus I'll be giving away a couple really nice frags to the winner.

Edit: Didn't see you have a bunch of tanks to take care of already!

Got my circulation pump today. Couldn't find a 600L/h to suit, so I've ended up with a 500L/h model. With the HOB this should give me around 50x/hr turnover. I'll also be looking into some way to disperse flow more than just a single jet, possibly either through the use of a LocLine nozzle or pipework.

Also, after consulting our resident LED gawd, Mr. evilc66, I've decided to modify the plan for the LED slightly. I was originally intending to use 6 XP-Gs, but under his advice I'm pumping it up to 9 (3x3). 5 Cool Whites, and 4 Royal Blues. This will mean the buckpacks are driving further from their peak and give me more overall power. Alls I know is, it's gonna be an awful full heatsink...

More mods later.

Considering PWM control of the drivers using an Ardurino board... possibly later down the track. As I've mentioned before, this tank will be using methods I intend to use on my full-size reef, or methods I've already used successfully on it. I've found several sources of really quite cheap Ardurino boards over here, so that may get a look-in given time. Not right now though, I'm a little broke after spending all of my pay stocking my medical cabinet and getting a QT prepped to ward off an outbreak of Ich in my display... -_-

Ideas still brewing!

Archived