inTank Media Baskets

Lowbread's First Saltwater.

lowbread

Started 01/15/2010

030710_0065_edited-1.jpg

NOW:

AGA 46g bow front maple, tank, stand, versa.

36" nova extreme 78 watt t5 light

Rena Filstar XP2

Filter floss, 11oz chemi-pure elite, 100ml purigin

Marineland stealth 200w

Caribsea Fl crushed coral

10lbs LFS live rock.

30 lbs of Premium Deco Gulf Live Rock

20 lbs of Coraline gulf live rock

MP10

Not in Use:

Mega Flow 2, Brand new, deal on craigslist.

Stock

CUC

5 2 peppermint shrimp

1 Pistol shrimp

2 Yellow Watchmen Gobys

1 six-line wrasse

1 Royal Gramma

1Maroon Clown

1 emerald crab

1 brittle star

zoas +

You usually wanna stay away from the really fine grained crushed coral.

That doesn't really look like 50lbs of rock, did you add it all? Or are those small pieces ridiculously heavy? Aha.

Your not gonna wanna use a wet/dry filter. Maybe you can take the wet/dry out and make it a sump/fuge.

Sorry, didn't read the OTW part.

You usually wanna stay away from the really fine grained crushed coral.

That doesn't really look like 50lbs of rock, did you add it all? Or are those small pieces ridiculously heavy? Aha.

Your not gonna wanna use a wet/dry filter. Maybe you can take the wet/dry out and make it a sump/fuge.

Sorry, didn't read the OTW part.

By wet dry do you mean the Xp2?

The last picture you posted is a wet/dry filter. You're going to want to remove the bioballs from it and run it as a sump (use the search feature on the forum or just google how to set one up). The XP2 is not going to provide any benefits to you. Sell that and get some powerheads. Koralias are popular.

Also - lighting. I'd say shoot for a 4 or 6 light T5HO. Expensive-ish but worth every penny if you're looking to keep healthy, happy coral.

The last picture you posted is a wet/dry filter. You're going to want to remove the bioballs from it and run it as a sump (use the search feature on the forum or just google how to set one up). The XP2 is not going to provide any benefits to you. Sell that and get some powerheads. Koralias are popular.

Also - lighting. I'd say shoot for a 4 or 6 light T5HO. Expensive-ish but worth every penny if you're looking to keep healthy, happy coral.

Is there absolutely no benefit i can conjure from the XP2? because i paid way to much for it. and selling it does me no good. It wont help with clarity? i shouldn't run it with filter floss, and chem pure?

Canister filters tend to capture waste and raise nitrates unless maintained very regularly. I suppose you could run chemical media in them as long as you had a floss layer to keep the chemical media from collecting miscellaneous debris. Just remember to clean it often.

Is that the NO (Normal Output) or HO (High Output) light? If it's just NO T5s you can keep softies. HO you can probably keep LPS.

Canister filters tend to capture waste and raise nitrates unless maintained very regularly. I suppose you could run chemical media in them as long as you had a floss layer to keep the chemical media from collecting miscellaneous debris. Just remember to clean it often.

Is that the NO (Normal Output) or HO (High Output) light? If it's just NO T5s you can keep softies. HO you can probably keep LPS.

cool thanks. how do i find out if there HO or NO? i dont really wanna keep any lps anyway. just curious.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but.... Here is what I'm thinking for my FISH LIST. I'm sure Ive messed a few things up please give me your input.

in order of importance to me...

some sort of clownfish, maybe onyx, maybe paired. what would be a suitable host that i can grow in my tank?

1 Royal Gramma

1 Yellow Watchman Gobie (do they need sand?)

2 banggi Cardinalfish

1 firefish

• 2 weeks later...
I know I'm getting ahead of myself but.... Here is what I'm thinking for my FISH LIST. I'm sure Ive messed a few things up please give me your input.

in order of importance to me...

some sort of clownfish, maybe onyx, maybe paired. what would be a suitable host that i can grow in my tank?

1 Royal Gramma

1 Yellow Watchman Gobie (do they need sand?)

2 banggi Cardinalfish

1 firefish

sounds good to me. As far as a host for some clowns, they will host just about anything, Frogspawn are pretty hardy and look good too

STOCK!

2-10-10 From John

40 Dwarf Cerith

15 Nassarius Vibex

17 Florida Cerith

9 Nerite Snails (Large)

7 Nerite Snails (Small - Medium)

WAY MoRE than ordered!

Today... I got.

5 peppermint shrimp

2 tiny Watchmen Gobys

1 Pistol shrimp. (pair with the bigger goby)

The gobys were in the same tank side by side when i saw them. seamed to be getting along fine.

Gilbert and (currently unnamed) they get along great. and Maravich the pistol shrimp mostly stays underground.

100_0306.jpg

Are these regular blue legged hermits or dwarfs?

100_0307.jpg

Hey there. From this and your other post it seems like you got some decently "live" rock. Hopefully you can sort out that algae forest though.

Anyways, the tank looks good IMO a little over 1 month old. It's good that you're taking your time stocking. One thing to remember is that many marine fish can be quite territorial. I'm not saying you will or will not run into any problems, but sixline wrasses are notorious for becoming pretty aggressive, which could be bad news for future fish additions. Typically, the least aggressive fishes are added first, to allow them to stake out a territory, and then the aggressive fish are added last.

Another concern... 5 peppermint shrimp? I think you'll find that to be too many. Eventually many of them will probably die off unless you're good about spot feeding them periodically (even then though, they are carnivorous, and have reportedly eaten corals, other shrimp, worms, etc...) So just keep an eye on them.

I would also keep a close eye on that wrasse with those 2 tiny YWG's... They look really really small. Also watch for aggression between them. Again, may or may not happen.

That being said, looks like you're doing quite well. You've got plenty of rock. The nova extreme is a good light, but it looks like yours is a 2 bulb model. Should work just fine, but might limit your coral selection some.

Good luck.

Hey there. From this and your other post it seems like you got some decently "live" rock. Hopefully you can sort out that algae forest though.

Anyways, the tank looks good IMO a little over 1 month old. It's good that you're taking your time stocking. One thing to remember is that many marine fish can be quite territorial. I'm not saying you will or will not run into any problems, but sixline wrasses are notorious for becoming pretty aggressive, which could be bad news for future fish additions. Typically, the least aggressive fishes are added first, to allow them to stake out a territory, and then the aggressive fish are added last.

Another concern... 5 peppermint shrimp? I think you'll find that to be too many. Eventually many of them will probably die off unless you're good about spot feeding them periodically (even then though, they are carnivorous, and have reportedly eaten corals, other shrimp, worms, etc...) So just keep an eye on them.

I would also keep a close eye on that wrasse with those 2 tiny YWG's... They look really really small. Also watch for aggression between them. Again, may or may not happen.

That being said, looks like you're doing quite well. You've got plenty of rock. The nova extreme is a good light, but it looks like yours is a 2 bulb model. Should work just fine, but might limit your coral selection some.

Good luck.

Wow. thanks a lot man!

The wrasse seams to be real Peaceful. it gos up to the goby/pistol caves and no one seams to be disruptive, the gobys or the wrasse. the only ones that pick on anything is the peppermints. but i tend to over feed my tank so thats why i really like having alot of shrimp that can clean up the mess (them and the nassarius) anyway. I really appreciate all the info. thanx!

P.s. the Wrasse was an impulls buy. the LFS said he was more peacfull than the "pink"? dotty back.

P.P.S.

I Really love seeing these types of helpful posts. filled with encouragement and constructive criticism. keep up the good work AJ

Everything is in the same spot! its not a problem, just annoying. the goby cave, the wrasse, the gramma, and most the shrimp. all in the front right bottom corner. do i have to much flow? that is definatly the least flow area in the tank.

but sixline wrasses are notorious for becoming pretty aggressive, which could be bad news for future fish additions.

Check

Another concern... 5 peppermint shrimp? I think you'll find that to be too many. Eventually many of them will probably die off unless you're good about spot feeding them periodically (even then though, they are carnivorous, and have reportedly eaten corals, other shrimp, worms, etc...)

Check

pulled a half devoured peppermint shrimp out of the grasp of another peppermint this morning.

Very nice, I have a maroon myself but yours is stunning. the are supposed to be pretty aggressive fish though.

That's a real nice clown. Love it.

I don't know about names. I let my kids name mine.

So far we have:

Iron Man

Luke Skywalker

Rockstar Chicken

Archived