Coral Vue Hydros

Who lives in the NYC area?

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I'm just looking to make some new friends in the nano-reef hobby. If you live in the NYC area, post your info and FTS. Also, feel free to add any NYC+reefing related tips and what you're currently into in the hobby (chalices, zoas, frags, fish, etc.) . Here's mine:

Info:

My tank is in the Murray Hill neighborhood at work, but I live in the UES. Here's a link to my thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214132

I'm also on Manhattanreefs.com, but more frequently on here.

Tips:

Manhattan Aquariums on 37th St on the west side is a long ways walk from the subway. Between 9th and 10th Ave you go over a bridge and it's windy and cold! Wear a warm coat. Better yet, hail a cab or car service.

Interests:

Zoas, Porcelain Crab

FTS 2010.01.14

FTS_20100114.jpg

Guest nanoreefchris

im about an hour south or so of NYC at the Jersey Coast. You should join njreefers.com, a lot of people live right outside of NYC on that site and there are great deals to be had. Good luck!

im about an hour south or so of NYC at the Jersey Coast. You should join njreefers.com, a lot of people live right outside of NYC on that site and there are great deals to be had. Good luck!

i'm in Rockaway Beach in Queens! if you ever have anything to swap lemme know

Mr. Microscope

Wow! That Lagoon tank is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Hello Mr. Microscope,

I live on the upper east side and go to the LFS on 38 and second, seems close to where you live. how do you like it?

Mr. Microscope
Hello Mr. Microscope,

I live on the upper east side and go to the LFS on 38 and second, seems close to where you live. how do you like it?

Hello,

Yes, I've been there many times and it is very convenient for me (10 minute walk). They seem to have an okay selection of fish and inverts. They have some nice larger corals, but the smaller corals (nano sized) are somewhat lacking in quality and selection. Most of the smaller corals that I looked at had some nasty looking HHs on them like aiptasia and green bubble algae. Also, I didn't see any nice frags. They don't seem to carry the nicely colored zoas that you see at the LFS on the west side. If they started that, I'd be in there everyday!

I did buy my snails and LR there; both of which I am very happy with. Also, they had some nice looking porcelain crabs there last time I checked. Some of the staff seems very nice and helpful, others seem annoyed at you looking around while they're trying to do stuff.

All and all, hot and cold.

What do you think of it?

Also, do you have a thread?

Mr. Microscope
i live in NYC! near fishtown-usa LETS GO JETS!!!

Cool, I just moved from Queens. 'Used to live in Astoria. 'Never been to fishtown. How is it?

Also, where is your thread?

Cool, I just moved from Queens. 'Used to live in Astoria. 'Never been to fishtown. How is it?

Also, where is your thread?

lol i dont have a thread YET, fishtown is alright. had a couple different tanks, didnt have much time to post updates etc etc maybe i'll start one since i just started up a nano cube

microscope, have you ever been to manhattan aquariums? its on the westside on 38th and 10th. id honestly make the trip out there instead of going to new world aquarium. new world is overpriced in my opinion ($100 for a 2 headed frogspawn? $90 for a 1.5in maxima?). MA tends to have a great selection and they are very nice... unlike NWA who gave me crap for giving advice to a new reefer in their store.

Deleted User 6

Brooklyn what!?

I buy my stuff online or trade with other hobbyists in the area. The LFS here are ok, but way overpriced imo. I am glad to see NYAS carrying ORA gobies now, though. And yesterday New World had 3 mini dart gobies! I just wish they had some kind of guarantee on their saltwater fish.

Edit: a recent shot of my whole setup. 2 linked displays on separate light schedules.

765489704_gkbPV-L.jpg

Hello All,

I got my first setup on 1/11/10 for my birthday which I decided to use as a pico reef. It is a very cool 6 gallon Fluval Edge. It has just finished cycling (5-6lbs of LR) and while that is happening, I have been doing lots and lots of research. This site is awesome and I've learned so much. It's addicting...

Oh, btw, I live in Staten Island.

I have some Cree led lighting on order which was recommended by a fellow Edge owner and I just got my Micro-jet450 powerhead yesterday in the mail. In a couple of weeks I would like to get my first frag of a yet-to-be-determined soft coral, starting small and simple of course. I will be getting a Skunk Cleaner shrimp and two scarlet reef hermit crabs this week and I am thrilled!

Glad to meet the locals :)

danielle

Hello All,

I got my first setup on 1/11/10 for my birthday which I decided to use as a pico reef. It is a very cool 6 gallon Fluval Edge. It has just finished cycling (5-6lbs of LR) and while that is happening, I have been doing lots and lots of research. This site is awesome and I've learned so much. It's addicting...

I have some Cree led lighting on order which was recommended by a fellow Edge owner and I just got my Micro-jet450 powerhead yesterday in the mail. In a couple of weeks I would like to get my first frag of a yet-to-be-determined soft coral, starting small and simple of course. I will be getting a Skunk Cleaner shrimp and two scarlet reef hermit crabs this week and I am thrilled!

danielle

:welcome: to NR. LED, Awesome! do you have a tank thread?

I'm in Flushing Queens and 10 mins drive to Fishtown.

I currently have a 38G tank and it has been cycling for 3 weeks now. Dry rocks will be added to the tank tonight.

Hopefully I can post some pics or a tank build thread this weekend.

I live in Rockaway also :)

You guys should check out ManhattanReefs.com. Is the biggest site in our area that I am aware of. Lots of guys from the Tri-state area.

I live in Rockaway also :)

You guys should check out ManhattanReefs.com. Is the biggest site in our area that I am aware of. Lots of guys from the Tri-state area.

Really??? where abouts?? ohhh never mind!! looked at Ur profile. You're Fran's husband no?

Hello All,

danielle

:welcome: To NR....always nice to have another cute girl reefer!! :D:P

SaltwaterKitty

Hey all,

I'm Kat ... and I live in CT ... I have a 24g AquaPod. I also second manhattanreefs.com ... another amazing site and they have a frag swap coming up in April that you won't want to miss!!

Kat

Hey all,

I'm Kat ... and I live in CT ... I have a 24g AquaPod. I also second manhattanreefs.com ... another amazing site and they have a frag swap coming up in April that you won't want to miss!!

Kat

:welcome: To NR!!

another cute reefer girl!!! I likey!! LOL

have any pics of ur tank Kat??

SaltwaterKitty
:welcome: To NR!!

another cute reefer girl!!! I likey!! LOL

have any pics of ur tank Kat??

Thanks for the compliment first of all! :flower:

Second of all ... my tank isn't very pretty right now. I purchased it from someone who had it up and running and transported it to my house and set it all back up. I've been WONDERFULLY sucessful in that I did a full tank cleaning and freshwater wash of the sand while everything sat in buckets in my kitchen and then put it all back together and never experienced any cycle or spikes at all. It's been running since November 19th. I was able to grab the AP for $180 with 40lbs of LR, 25lbs of LS, a damsel (who was NOT supposed to be there, imagine my surprise when he was at the bottom of one of those buckets!) and various button polyps, sponges, etc.

I was really mostly interested in the very inexpensive tank and wanted the experience of the cycle, etc ... and now am sorta stuck with the previous owners choice of sizes and shapes of the LR ... as well as what I consider to be fairly unattractive brown and green polyps that are almost overrunning the rocks. I am seriously about a minute away from changing out all of the rock. I went to the ManhattanReefs fall swap and picked up a few ricordia, a kenya tree, xenia and various zoos (stock lighting) and they are all sitting patiently on the bottom of my tank waiting for me to switch out the rock. I have a small CUC and a royal gramma right now and NO pics that I am happy to share, LOL. You will have to just wait it out like I am.

:D

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Kat

Thanks for the compliment first of all! :flower:

Second of all ... my tank isn't very pretty right now. I purchased it from someone who had it up and running and transported it to my house and set it all back up. I've been WONDERFULLY sucessful in that I did a full tank cleaning and freshwater wash of the sand while everything sat in buckets in my kitchen and then put it all back together and never experienced any cycle or spikes at all. It's been running since November 19th. I was able to grab the AP for $180 with 40lbs of LR, 25lbs of LS, a damsel (who was NOT supposed to be there, imagine my surprise when he was at the bottom of one of those buckets!) and various button polyps, sponges, etc.

I was really mostly interested in the very inexpensive tank and wanted the experience of the cycle, etc ... and now am sorta stuck with the previous owners choice of sizes and shapes of the LR ... as well as what I consider to be fairly unattractive brown and green polyps that are almost overrunning the rocks. I am seriously about a minute away from changing out all of the rock. I went to the ManhattanReefs fall swap and picked up a few ricordia, a kenya tree, xenia and various zoos (stock lighting) and they are all sitting patiently on the bottom of my tank waiting for me to switch out the rock. I have a small CUC and a royal gramma right now and NO pics that I am happy to share, LOL. You will have to just wait it out like I am.

:D

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Kat

well just be warned that this hobby can be VERY addicting!! I think it was easier for me to quite amoking the to stop buying corals on a regular basis!! LOL

as far as the polyps go I had some of the very same brown ugly things on some of my rock and if you take the rock out of the water and use a razor blade to literally scrape them off the rock then you can do what ever you'd like with them and wouldn't have to waste the money buying new rock (and your new coral would be very very happy!!)

anyway welcome to the club and if there's anything you want to know just post it up!! There are so many great ppl who are very willing to share there expert opinions and advice!!

Tank looks awesome Mr. Microscope. I can't wait until I start adding some live stock into my tank. For all you NY'ers check out Pacific Aquariums. It's pretty good store around that area. 46 Delancey Street

New York, NY 10002-2936

(212) 995-5895

Markushka: Thanks for the welcome... Sorry no tank thread yet.. trying to get a move on that!

Rockfish:Thanks for the welcome and compliment as well!

I was wondering if anyone had been to a place called "Absolutely Fish" http://www.absolutelyfish.com/

They are in NJ and their website looks pretty impressive. They are about 30 miles from SI and less then ten miles from the GWB. I was thinking of taking a ride there to check them out. Only a couple of miles from there is a place called "Reef Encounter" and another called "The Fishtank" so I thought since I was paying a $9 toll to go to NJ I could check them all out in one trip. I'm dying to see what's out there...

Archived