inTank Media Baskets

Snails are weird

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

I hardly ever see my two Ceriths. They spend 90% of their time under the sand. When I do see them, I almost always see both of them at the same time. Is this just coincidence? Do they suddenly agree that it's an appropriate time to get out and say hello? What's the deal with these guys? Anyone else notice this kind of behavior?

..just an odd observation..

they are like that in the wild too, they might all be under the sand, and then all of a sudden they all come up, then they go back etc....maybe something to do with your lighting schedule? they are far more active at night.

Mine seem to pop up when I use a turkey baster to clean debris off my rocks, or during a feeding, so I think it has something to do with the extra food floating around.

Agreed, much more active at night.

Mr. Microscope

I've read that flow can have and effect too. Apparently, they burry themselves when currents are high. My AC 70 used to bow out the sand on the front of my tank. I've recenty gotten ahold of the flow and it's not so wild in there anymore. I've seen them for three days in a row now, which was never the case before. It allowed me to get a good pic in for the photo contest today.

In about two square inches, I caught a stomatella varia, nerite, and one of my ceriths congregating. I thought to myself, "Snail Jamboree!", and took the shot. There're a lot of good images in there already, but I thought, why not? Probably won't win, but it's fun to play.

Archived