ReefCleaners.org

DIY 2.3 Gallon Pico

1blackchicken

1blackchicken

Well this is my first Pico tank so wish me luck!

After having to take down my 120 due to having to move in with the in-laws I was dying to have another tank (they call it an addiction for a reason) so I finally convinced my wife to let me get a small one but she said it had to be really small. Of course that day I went to go and get glass cut and stopped by the storage to pick up everything I would need. Got home built the tank and then while I was waiting for the silicone to dry I figured since it has been a long time since I have had a nano, that I would jump on nano reef for some good reading and there was the wonderful pico contest and now here we are. So since I am unemloyed and very cheap everything that can be will be DIY. Should keep it interesting. So here we go!

All the parts:

2ilhhlv.jpg

Getting there:

vgjts.jpg

Finished product:

2vmsj2w.jpg

And the next day. No leaks! Yeah!

o72ixs.jpg

Onto the DIY light:

Before (have to take it apart and narrow it from 10.5" to only 7". Should be interesting):

2uemb8p.jpg

After:

2qamtyb.jpg

Well that is all. Now I have to go and figure out how I want to hang my light and figure out where the tank is going to go. It is going to be so hard to wait till Feb 1st to get things started. Oh well we all know how much patience this hobby requires. Might as well get in some practice. Any constructive criticism or advice is always welcome. Thanks.

Ryan

1blackchicken

Ok so here is the tank with the light hung over it and a few rick stuck in just for fun. All I have left to do is clean the tank and get some rock and sand cycling.Now comes the wait for Feb 1st. 21 days and counting.

1623ehl.jpg

1blackchicken

Thanks. Not yet. That is what I have to do for the next 21 day is to start planning my live stock and how to fit it in with the rock work that I want to do.

Nice DIY build -- can't wait till Feb 1st myself. Hopefully I will have my tank ready by then. Glad we have an open enrollment period just in case it takes me a little longer.

1blackchicken

Thanks. The wait is a bummer since I built it to set up right away until I noticed the contest. Oh well just gives me time to make sure I dont rush it. Good luck with your tank build as well. DIY is the way to go.

Wow nice! Looking good! Im impressed so far by everyone's builds. Heh now hopefully my silicone work comes out as nice!

I cant wait till Feb 1st either. :P

1blackchicken

Ok so question for everyone. Should I bare bottom or not on my pico? I have never done a bare bottom tank before so I thought that it might be interesting. What are the pros and cons to doing this. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

1blackchicken

Well right now I have a 200 gph pump in there and the sand is not being blown around and I do like the look of sand but for some reason bb seems like it might be interesting to try as well. What would be the advantages of a bb tank? Maybe I will just start bb and if im not liking it then I can always add sand later. Who votes for putting the 400w halides from my 120 on this tank. lol. I think the water would boil.

Way I look at it.. BB is easier to keep detritus cleaned up yet sand acts as a biological filter much like your rock. So its almost a toss up..

Haha 400w halide FTW! :D I just found an brand new 400w halide fixture and 6500k bulb for free.. No reflector but thinking about hanging it from the ceiling for my plants...

1blackchicken

You put yours on your tank and ill put mine over mine. lol. Just have to hang it on the ceiling and have the tank on the floor but why not. I add like 3 gallons of top off a day on a 2 gallon tank. I think I am going to try bb and if I dont like it then I will just add sand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
no updates yet. Still plugging along and taking my time. Thanks.

Mine is coming along fairly slowly as well, but I would love to see an updated shot of your tank :P I like the DIY's - you can get really creative.

Archived