Cultivated Reef

Unique tank plans.UPDATED! need Advice and Constructive Critisism

Dizzle21

I had a Rough idea to make a zero edge display tank that overflows into a shallow display/macro-algae/fuge/predator tank.

display tank: 40g acrylic cube

Step- filled with Base rock rubble,lava rock gravel, sand "Mangrove Garden" "thanks Bitts for the awsome idea"!!

mid-shallow tank /macro algae/angler,rhino,etc tank: 30g acrylic

with a overflow into a sump

Frag tank- 20-25g, shallow bare bottom, acrylic everything, frag plugs, plug holder etc.

sump----????

ideas, advice, comments?

reefconcept.png

I think that the noise level will depend on your flow rate. Look up what flow rates they recommend for zero edge tanks. One thing I've also noticed is that the glass is quite rounded at the top of those tanks.

Overall I think this is a pretty cool idea though.

have it spill over into a dense foam pad, will require cleaning often so as not to raise nitrate lavels but it will reduce and almost eliminate splashing and noise. kind of like those jumping fountians in theme parks like disney world...if youve ever seen them

if you can pull it off cleanly, i think it will be pretty sweet.

you can always create a slide for the water to follow, put some rails on the side of it and you wont hear it and there will be no splashing. and it will allow you to direct the flow....think waterslide.

i got the idea off the zero edge tanks :D

they have one at my LFS that they use as the frag tank and its silent. just thought id could do the same thing exept have only 1 side exept the whole tank. I was hoping the water would run down the side(not pour off like a waterfall)

also the edge of the display overflow would be rounded.

I dont think you'll have a problem. In my sump i have about 800GPH falling down about 6'' in my sump and its quiet(the sump is 18'' long). One thing i think that needs to have some attention is if your just going to put one overflowing into another you might want to leave a little lip on the overflow so none of the water will drip down the side on its way to the lower tank.

I was thinking.. If you did a lot of precise measuring and cutting haha, you could have a slight incline going into the frag tank. That way it would just flow down the side. I think it could be done. It would just be a lot of work and have to be really level.

Surface tension might make the water flow a little sideways down the overflow and if there's no lip or anything it would just end up on the floor. Sounds like a cool idea though and if you get it perfectly level you'll be able to use a flow rate that is silent.

bluefunelement

my LFS has something similar but only about a 6" step down - I'd say raise the frag or lower the display so you have less drop and enjoy

ya i dont have any set dimensions. the picture really sucks. it was more to give a idea of what i have in my head. the hardest part will be building the tanks because ive never have built one before. I think im going to try to learn by building a small pico cube tank :D

Can't wait to see this build I think it will work great.and If everything is level I think it will be quiet. The loudest part of a tank is usually the skimmer anyway.

thelovablebum

I like that idea, I wonder how much more evaporation you'll get.

ya i dont have any set dimensions. the picture really sucks.

You should try Google Sketchup

most likely alot of evaporation but considering water volume will be over 90g and ill have a ATO shouldnt be anything major to worry about.

• 3 weeks later...

I think im going to have a external overflow, whats a good idea for plumbing for the output? the zeroedge tanks have the output on the bottom center. (its pretty much a big pvc pipe with holes) and its covered in lr so you cant really see it. what about flow? im worried that it will mess with the overflowing into the next tank

you could minamize the evap by using traeces ( acouple inches thick) to step the flow down, fill them with sand and grow mangroves in them. also there was a good thread about something simular to this by icy once apon a time let me look for it.

you could minamize the evap by using traeces ( acouple inches thick) to step the flow down, fill them with sand and grow mangroves in them. also there was a good thread about something simular to this by icy once apon a time let me look for it.

here ya go

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...3386&st=220

now sad miss icy's threads.

here ya go

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...3386&st=220

now sad miss icy's threads.

maby something like this

post-24770-1265087864_thumb.png

I was just going to say the same thing Google Sketch up is great I have used it for a lot of projects. including my newest. My current stand and sump build. It is very easy to learn and fun to play with and the fact that the software is free makes it that much better.

as for your tank love the idea but I would hate to make it level lol. I have an idea has anyone tried to make - seen one with slanted edges to reduce the noise? (it wouldn't have to be much of a slant to reduce the noise)

Archived