Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Growerguy Phantom of the NR

Growerguy

FTS - 2/13/10

Zi6_0473-1.jpg

Ok the plan so far. Right now I have built a tank that is 12"x12"x8". Im looking more into doing a pico patch reef then the usual rock setup. To help with the effect I plan on using mostly leathers and other softies to make the tank look larger then it is.

Im debating whether or not to use a sump or not.. However, if I do it will be a display refugium that will be placed slightly higher then the tank and drain down into the main display. The main reason Im thinking about using this is because of the low amount of LR I will be using for the main display.

Stay tuned for photos of leak testing the tank tomorrow after the silicone cures.

:ninja:

Just may be attempting to cut glass... we shall see.

Don't let Trav fool you! There is more braking of glass then there is cutting of glass! Not too bad for a first attempt at cutting glass though.

Chillax Ive got pics coming... been preocupide with other tanks sense this contest doesn't have to be set up till April 30th.. Not that Im going to wait that long but Ive got time. Besides I just got my vortech mp10 in today for my 14g and Ive been messing with that!

Shush Carnifex! Its all part of the art... things need to be destroyed in order to be rebuilt..

For the peanut gallery... I present a picture. :happydance:

Tank - 12"x12"x8" = 4.99 gallons

Refugium - 10"x9"x6" = 2.34 gallons

Zi6_0328.jpg

Clue to what Im doing... scatteredrock.jpg;)

Thanks. :)

Im usually a "ghetto" reefer and try and DIY everything. According to Carnifex tho Ive lost my ghetto title when I bought an mp10 and JBJ ATO for another tank. Ive spent the last year making less then $500 a month but luckily things changed recently. This tank should be interesting hopefully. :happy:

Thanks! Got the tank all glued together tonight. Still debating if I want to add the refugium or not. May just keep it as is. Ill have pics tomorrow while I water test it.

Water test.. small leak that I had to fix. Will have pics tomorrow. :P

Updated the first post on this thread with the direction Im kind of heading with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Zi6_0405.jpg

FTS submission picture.

Ive started this bad boy up.

Added 2.5 lbs of LR and 2 lbs of LS from a LFS. Also added about a pound of dry sand and a pound of LR from my frag tank. Filled the tank with 3 gallons of water from the frag tank and a gallon of new saltwater.

Currently I have a single 10k PC light over the top of it and a Rio-400 for circulation.

Keeping things pretty simple for now.

I will have some big updates once my fever goes down and I stop filling like poo.

Cheers to the start of the contest!

Edit: Oh and I also have one of those stealth heaters from Hydor.

Thank you! :D

Im trying for the simple approach for this tank. Im kinda up in the air right now with what kind of corals Im going to add. Im going for a patch reef type look so we will see. Looking more to find things that will make the tank over all look larger then it actually is.

Had a little hiccup so to speak. One whole week with freshwater and the tank doesnt leak a drop.. add saltwater and rock and after 24hours the tank develops a teeny tiny leak. Had to drain it and re-silicon last night but hopefully its all fixed now.. fingerscrossed

• 2 weeks later...

Haha Ive been busy with setting up my 40b but here is a recent pic of my pico. Sorry the glass is a little dirty..

Ive been letting it sit for awhile and sucking out flat worms... <_< Other then that it is doing awesome and I have tons of mini brittle stars.

Zi6_0473-1.jpg

I apologize in advance if you have already answered this, but it appeared you haven't (but given the day I had at work - I could have missed it :wacko: ) - anyway, have you decided on whether or not to do the refugium? Just curious about your reasoning. I have been debating over two potential "designs" for my tank. Thanks!

No worries. Originally I was going to build a small 3g sump for the tank but then decided not to. I have a AC50 that I've been meaning to set up as a refugium but haven't got around to setting it up. :D

I've been taking the letting the tank sit for awhile approach.

Eventually I will make something for an ATO.. I have a piece of glass cut that covers the top and leaves a small crack for gas exchange. I only really need to top off once every couple days but once I get the AC50 on there it will open up the back more for evaporation.

So far the main theme of my methodology is to keep it as simple as possible. :)

Archived