ReefCleaners.org

Mikey's GLA 12 gallon rimless

mikey77

Hi everybody, just thought I'd start a thread to share the progress of my new reef tank. The tank itself is from Greenleaf Aquariums and is a 12 gallon that is nearly 36" in length. I wanted a small tank that was going to be easy to work on and would be easily viewed from above. The dimensions of this tank make it seem as though it is much larger than 12 gallons imo.

I've aquascaped the tank with dry shelf rock from BRS. I went with the shelf rock because I wanted to leave plenty of vertical space for frags to grow out. I decided to go bare bottom on this tank because of the flow and also because of the shallow dimensions. The plan is to have just a few really nice quality sps and to let them fill in the voids.

I'm planning on using the Brightwell neozeo method on this tank and will begin dosing on Monday as this is when the supplements will be delivered. I'm going to use MB7 and Biofuel as well as the zeo rocks housed in an Eheim aquaball internal filter. The zeo rocks and the filter are set to arrive on Thursday. I'm also planning on trying Salifert All-In-One on this tank.

Thanks for looking, and I'll do my best to try and keep this thread updated! Questions and feedback are welcome!

Equipment List-

Tank- GLA 12 gallon rimless/ drilled with two 1/2"returns and a 1" drain. Overflow box is diy and is based on glass-holes design.

Stand- Custom DIY. The hose you see running from the sump to a bulkhead in the side of the stand is for doing water changes. Eventually it may serve as a feed line for a chiller if necessary.

Sump- Eshopps RS-100

Skimmer- Aqua-C Urchin

Lighting- Aqua Medic 250w MH w/Phoenix 14k. Supplements will be 3 watt led's housed in 2 modified desk lamps. I ordered the leds from a company called Meritline in Hong Kong and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. They were only $12.99 and they look similar to the one's Aquatouch is selling for $60. http://www.meritline.com/3w-led-e26-spotli...---p-28172.aspx I'll post an update when I receive them.

Circulation- return pump is a Maxi-Jet 1800 submersible utility pump. Powerhead is a Tunze Nanostream 6025

ATO- Tunze Osmolator

I'm sure I probably left something out, so if there's anything you'd like to know, feel free to ask!

post-14865-1262488488_thumb.jpg

post-14865-1262488500_thumb.jpg

Full shot. Don't mind the reflection in the glass of the blanket! I still need to finish the other door for the stand. I ruined the plastic laminate on the last one!

post-14865-1262489235_thumb.jpg

Close up of one of the light fixtures purchased from Target. These will house the led bulbs.

post-14865-1262489382_thumb.jpg

That's going to be a freakin' awesome tank. I love the dimensions of it.

Thanks Ryno! I really love the dimensions of the tank also. Can't wait to actually put some corals in this thing.

I totally agree, you've got a great lighting setup and a lot of bioload capacity with that sump and skimmer - and all of your fish and corals will be in easy sight thanks to the tank dimensions. The whole thing looks quite clean and I look forward to seeing it stocked :)

Sickkkkk.

I really wanted to buy one of those bookshelf tanks this Christmas, but they sold out a long time ago.

I'm glad I at least get to see a journal of one. :)

I totally agree, you've got a great lighting setup and a lot of bioload capacity with that sump and skimmer - and all of your fish and corals will be in easy sight thanks to the tank dimensions. The whole thing looks quite clean and I look forward to seeing it stocked :)

Thanks!

Sickkkkk.

I really wanted to buy one of those bookshelf tanks this Christmas, but they sold out a long time ago.

I'm glad I at least get to see a journal of one. :)

I think that Greenleaf aquariums has these in stock. I was going to get one of the Mr. Aqua ones from Marine Depot because the price was right but they were sold out. So I happened upon this one that is the same dimensions but double the price! :(

very nice tank! how much is the tank?

The tank was $110. In a perfect world I would have just bought the Mr. Aqua because it was nearly half the price and from what I can tell from the pics on the net, it's the same exact tank. If anyone knows what the difference is between the two brands, please chime in.

Can you tell me what the actual dimensions of the tank are? I've got an old 55 gal that I've taken apart and this looks like a good dimension of tank to make out of that glass.

Can you tell me what the actual dimensions of the tank are? I've got an old 55 gal that I've taken apart and this looks like a good dimension of tank to make out of that glass.

It's approximately 36"L x 8.5"W x 9.5"H.

Amazing... The shallow tank is awesome and your light setup is sick. Well done.

Thanks! Hopefully the led bulbs will look cool. I like the idea of being able to try different led bulbs in those fixtures. Those screw in bulbs are the ticket for me because I'm not skilled enough to build a fixture from scratch!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived