inTank Media Baskets

[BC29] Refugium Mod Question

VtheMaestro

1st Post. Happy Holidays to all. This forum has been an invaluable resource in my month-long biocube journey so I decided to register and get all the way involved.

My question is regarding Stevie T's refugium mod for the BC29. Cleaning and rearranging media in the back chamber is a bit difficult with a big ball of Chaeto, worms, and pods floating around. I decided to put the mass of stuff in a filter bag and hang it in the fuge chamber for easy removal/maintenance. I'm wondering if that will pose a problem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46089311@N03/4231501166

:welcome: to NR.

So, umm, whats the question?

Thanks for the welcome.

Is the filter bag a bad idea? Will it impede flow? Do fuge creatures need the flat/smooth tank walls? In theory my idea seems good, but i've never seen it done before so i'm a little skeptical

Good idea. Make sure that light is under water since it is submersible only. The bag will keep the chaeto in place better just make sure it stays clean. Any detritus buildup will impeed flow and can lead to nitrates. It may trap pods if that is a concern to you.

Thanks for the reply Steve. I lowered the light to just below the water level. There's a second light under the fuge but the top one was resting on the algae and slightly cooking it, turning it white. I'll be sure to keep it clean - I think rinsing a bag is easier than trying to grab the mass with my hands.

Trapping larger pods was part of my motivation. Large ones can live in the bag with the chaeto and reproduce, smaller ones can escape thru the pores in the bag. Furthermore, I can remove the real nitrate factory, the blue filter sponge down by the pump, without fear of my whole pod population getting sucked out into the tank B)

I'm just starting my 29BC, the bag idea sounds great! You think that the bag idea might also work in a media trey type situation, so you can still put the macro algae in a bag?

I ask, because I want to run chaeto and possibly chemi-pure in the same chamber, but be able to control the algae better.

:welcome: to Nano-Reef, I just might have to use that filter bag fuge idea as well. I currently have my chateo locked away in the middle chamber of my media basket and feel that maybe its receiving a little to much direct flow down on it to absorb and grow properly.. not sure tho

Archived