ReefCleaners.org

Missing Cerith?

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

So, I haven't seen one of my ceriths in a couple weeks. I know that they bury themselves in the sand, but you'd think it would have popped it's head up at least once in that time. It used to act like my other cerith; about 60% of the time in sand and the other on rocks and glass. I've checked my levels and there is no sign of death so far, but I'm getting concerned because I'll be leaving my tank for the holidays. I'm having a friend check in on it, but I'm not going to ask him to do any testing. If it's dead in the sand, will that kill my tank in a week while I'm gone? Should I poke around in the sand and try to find him?

Mr. Microscope
I wouldn't worry. I've had turbo's die and my tank survived. If it's dead, the other CUC members will take care of it.

Cool. That's good to know. How big is your tank? My only other CUC is another Cerith and two Nerites. I don't have any crabs. Do you think the natural HHs and pods will process it well? BTW, I only have 3 gallons.

Cool. That's good to know. How big is your tank? My only other CUC is another Cerith and two Nerites. I don't have any crabs. Do you think the natural HHs and pods will process it well? BTW, I only have 3 gallons.

Oh, three gallons is different. Mine's 24. You should be able to find it. FWIW, my ceriths never buried themselves in the sand. My nassarius did, but not my ceriths. How big of a snail is it? You sure it's not in some nook or cranny in your rock work?

I just had this happen. I had 2 ceriths. One of them disappeared and I assumed it was dead after 2 or 3 weeks. The second one was usually visible, but it had issues - it kept falling off the walls and couldn't flip itself over without assistance. Eventually it flipped over when I wasn't around and a hermit crab is now wearing his shell. Clean up crew took care of him fast enough there was no noticeable change in water quality.

A week or 2 after that one died, out popped the second cerith, the one I'd given up for dead. He's been happily crawling over the rocks and going in and out of the sand bed ever since.

So either way, I wouldn't worry about it. If he's alive, he'll resurface eventually. If he's not, your tank should get by fine.

Mr. Microscope

LOL!!! :lol: Guess who just popped up?! Thanks for the advice guys. Can you believe it?! No sign for weeks, I get nervous enough to post something about it, and he shows up. He must have heard me typing. Haha.

Archived