Cultivated Reef

Looking for advice on Aquarium stand

Jakesaw

I'm going to be building a stand from 2x4 lumber I have laying around. Any suggestions to design ideas that I should be conisering?

I've seen the google Design with overlapping 2x4's - but I'm more interested in dimensional considerations - open top vs flat top - OR - Should I make the back of stand deeper than the display tank - so I have room for plumbing and storage / Sump room.

Display tank 29 gallons

Sump - 10 gallons

Hoping storage for other stuff in there as much as possible.

My display tank is not completelly flat on the bottom - it's got a slight peak - about midway under the bottom brace. I've got some foamboard to place under the tank. If I go the solid top - I was planning on doing fermica top - with foam board on top - before placing the tank on the stand.

The part that's throwing me for a loop is really the Sump. I"ve never plumbed a tank - and want flexibility to minimize noise in any way possible.

Would like to hear any suggestions - or photos of current setup - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm surprised you haven't gotten a response on this yet....

Quite a few DIY stands and details included in peoples' tank threads, you might want to look around at a few.

Key question for me would be how you intend to plumb the DT to the sump - drilled bottom of tank or back, etc.

Either way, I'd leave a couple inches behind the tank for wiring, and maybe plumbing. You can extend the top trim to the wall, but keep an open space at the back.

Sorry I can't be more help, maybe the 'bump' will bring some other thoughts...

I'm going to be building a stand from 2x4 lumber I have laying around. Any suggestions to design ideas that I should be conisering?

I've seen the google Design with overlapping 2x4's - but I'm more interested in dimensional considerations - open top vs flat top - OR - Should I make the back of stand deeper than the display tank - so I have room for plumbing and storage / Sump room.

Display tank 29 gallons

Sump - 10 gallons

Hoping storage for other stuff in there as much as possible.

My display tank is not completelly flat on the bottom - it's got a slight peak - about midway under the bottom brace. I've got some foamboard to place under the tank. If I go the solid top - I was planning on doing fermica top - with foam board on top - before placing the tank on the stand.

The part that's throwing me for a loop is really the Sump. I"ve never plumbed a tank - and want flexibility to minimize noise in any way possible.

Would like to hear any suggestions - or photos of current setup - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

first pics of 2x4 framing ideas from along the way.

post-24770-1259072877_thumb.png

post-24770-1259072923_thumb.png

post-24770-1259073018_thumb.jpg

post-24770-1259073115_thumb.png

Key question for me would be how you intend to plumb the DT to the sump - drilled bottom of tank or back, etc.

Either way, I'd leave a couple inches behind the tank for wiring, and maybe plumbing. You can extend the top trim to the wall, but keep an open space at the back.

Sorry I can't be more help, maybe the 'bump' will bring some other thoughts...

Plumbing will be in the back of the tank. Haven't decided if I'm going to do a cheapo PVC overflow piping design I found online that goes over the back from - OR - gl#######s.com box. The main goal is to have it as quiet as possible - and final product may adapt from concept in order to reach the quietest sump possible. I am even considering soundproofing the stand as much as possible

Plumbing will be in the back of the tank. Haven't decided if I'm going to do a cheapo PVC overflow piping design I found online that goes over the back from - OR - gl#######s.com box. The main goal is to have it as quiet as possible - and final product may adapt from concept in order to reach the quietest sump possible. I am even considering soundproofing the stand as much as possible

silence = herbie style

some of the best ideas ive seen are to have removable panles from the hood to the stand hidding the plumbing (both exstend back past the tank 4-5 inches). if doining a 2x4 frame wrapping the legs with thin mitter cut hardwood on all 4 sides, this was really effective. he then added doors to the front & sides, with a plywood back to prevent racking. another really good option is a metal frame thats been spraded with truck bed liner.

pics to get ideas from

post-24770-1259172755_thumb.jpg

post-24770-1259172763_thumb.jpg

post-24770-1259172776_thumb.png

post-24770-1259172790_thumb.jpg

post-24770-1259172828_thumb.jpg

post-24770-1259172839_thumb.png

post-24770-1259172848_thumb.jpg

post-24770-1259172869_thumb.jpg

post-24770-1259172877_thumb.jpg

Archived