inTank Media Baskets

kellerexpress' 30g Finnex-Now SPS dominated! New pics!

kellerexpress

kellerexpress

So I finally got around to taking some good pictures of my reef today, and thought it would be a good time to start a tank thread.

I started this 30g Finnex mixed reef a couple months ago, with most of the livestock and rock transferred over from my first tank, a 24g nano cube. I have only recently started collecting sps, so all of my sps is currently small frags, I cant wait to see them grow out. The finnex is awesome, I love the design of the filtration and the tank is built really well. My only complaint has been the skimmer, some people have got it to work fine, but not me. After running it for 3 weeks I couldnt get it to foam at all, and the micro bubbles were ridiculous. So I upgraded to a tunze 9002 and couldnt be happier with it.

I'll get around to posting the details of my set-up later, but for now here is the pics. Please excuse my photography skills, still trying to fugure this out.

first, some FTS

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

fish

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

coral, shrimp, clam,coco worm, RBTA,ect

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

looks great! awesome little RBTA you have.

Random Question: do you think your black clownfish thinks he's orange? and your orange clownfish think he's black???

Super tank! I have questions on 3 of the pictures?

1 - Are those acans in the 2nd to last picture?

2 - 4th pic from the bottom, what is the bright green coral behind the six line? An Open Brain?

3 - How'd you get all your rics to stay together on the rock?

thanks in advance!

- geoff

kellerexpress

Thanks for the compliments. I am using the finnex 150w hqi /t5 combo.

Yes those are acans in that second to bottom pic, just some frags I recently aquired.

Yes that green coral is an open brain, currently being hosted by my clowns.

As for the rics they were just glued in close proximity to each other and they grew in that way.

• 2 weeks later...
kellerexpress

Wanted to show you all my new addition, a Blue Spotted Jawfish! I have always wanted one of these fish, but I knew that my tank had a few problems for housing one. My sandbed is too shallow, only 2 inches at its deepest part, and I have an open top. So to solve these problems, I made a mesh top for my finnex and built a diy jawfish condo! Now some pics!

First the mesh top: IMG_3039.jpg

Now the condo, I used 3/4" pvc, and instead of making a circle like other ones Ide seen, I wanted to make one with a back door so the little guy felt more secure, and would have an escape hatch if needed. I used live rock rubble to disquise the entrance and to try and make it look natural.

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

Acclimation

IMG_3005.jpg

welcome home blue!

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3032-1.jpg

Could please tell me what materials you used to make that mesh top? I had a goby go carpet surfing a month ago and don't want to risk that happening again. Great looking tank btw!

• 4 weeks later...
kellerexpress

Well my jawfish experience was cut to a grinding hault this morning as I woke up to jawfish jerky on the carpet, I still dont know how he managed to go carpet surfing, but somehow he got out. RIP blue!

I recently aquired a couple new addtions, first a nice joker acan colony:

IMG_3298.jpg

and last but not least a French Polynesian (tuamotu) Ultra Maxima Clam! This guy is big, like 6-7 inches looks like a small football in my nano! He is amazing, gold and baby blue, check it out. Pics dont do it justice...

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

Not trying to be "nosey", but did you get a good deal on the clam? The ones I've seen, mostly on Divers' Den go for $400 to $600! Beautiful clam btw and sorry to hear about your BSJF! You'll have to try another one! ;)

kellerexpress

yes i got a great deal on the clam here locally, for alot less then what live aquaria is selling them for. I could never pay that much for a clam.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived