SaltCritters.com

Saving Water

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I started my tank last Saturday and mixed up 5 gallons the day before. I only used 3.5 gallons for the tank. Can I save the other 1.5 in the bucket? It will be a while before doing my first water change. I have to wait for it to cycle. Will the water go bad in the bucket? Should I make up fresh saltwater before (24 hours before) making doing a water change?

Thanks!

Can I save the other 1.5 in the bucket?

Yes.

Will the water go bad in the bucket?

No.

Should I make up fresh saltwater before (24 hours before) making doing a water change?

If you have the time.

Oooh...we have conflict!

Personally, I've gotta go with Fosi on this one.

depends on how clean the jug is.....

in a clean jug w/ a tight fitting lid...no it doesnt really go bad....stale maybe nothing an air pump cant fix...

My SW comes from an estuary on the coast.

It's sand-filtered and trucked from Georgetown to Columbia where it sits in large, outdoor storage tanks for weeks at a time. When I fill up my 5g bucket in advance of a waterchange, it may sit in my office for more weeks before I use it. Before I do the waterchange, I test the alk/Ca/Mg/SG, amend if needed, then change it right into my system. No air pumps, no powerheads (except to mix in any dosing). I've been doing this for some time now and my tank has never looked better.

When I was still mixing my SW, I'd mix it up and sometimes I would use it right away but more often it would sit for a week or two in the lidded bucket. Again, no air pumps, powerheads, heaters, etc.. When I was ready to use it, I would check the bottom for any precipitate and if I found none, I would siphon it right into the system without checking anything.

Unless you let your cat pee in it or drop in something that will decompose the water will never "go bad".

Archived