ReefCleaners.org

JBJ Picotope filter with AC70 fuge mod?

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

As of yet, I've been a silent observer of the forums, but have found them infinitely inspiring. So far, I've collected about every part I need to start up my picotope aside from salt, buffer, LS, and LR.

I was planning to run filter floss and chaeto in the AC70, and some Chemi-Pure in the smaller filter that came with the picotope. My question is one of placement. Should I hook up the smaller filter so that it pumps directly out of the aquarium, or should I hook it up on the side of the AC70 (it fits perfectly) ?

post-47492-1256660695_thumb.jpg

...or...

post-47492-1256660708_thumb.jpg

???

Any thoughts?

Hello All,

As of yet, I've been a silent observer of the forums, but have found them infinitely inspiring. So far, I've collected about every part I need to start up my picotope aside from salt, buffer, LS, and LR.

I was planning to run filter floss and chaeto in the AC70, and some Chemi-Pure in the smaller filter that came with the picotope. My question is one of placement. Should I hook up the smaller filter so that it pumps directly out of the aquarium, or should I hook it up on the side of the AC70 (it fits perfectly) ?

post-47492-1256660695_thumb.jpg

...or...

post-47492-1256660708_thumb.jpg

???

Any thoughts?

Interesting use of the stock filter, I never would have thought of hangin it off the side of the '70 and stuff it with chemical media. As per your question, if you are set on using it, I'd hang it off the '70, that has plenty of flow for the Pico, it'd add a tiny bit more to the tank if hung there, but IMHO it would look too cluttered.

Mr. Microscope

Thanks for the reply!

I agree that it looks cluttered on the side. I was actually planning to put my Mini Jet 404 there. I was just wondering if filtering a filter would be overkill. But, I guess the extra water load might help. Plus, it looks kinda cool when running. It creates sort of a cascading waterfall .

Thanks for the reply!

I agree that it looks cluttered on the side. I was actually planning to put my Mini Jet 404 there. I was just wondering if filtering a filter would be overkill. But, I guess the extra water load might help. Plus, it looks kinda cool when running. It creates sort of a cascading waterfall .

Since its pulling water from what will become your 'fuge, keep an eye on the inside of the pico filter for detritus, I doubt it will become an issue, but theres always the possibility for it to accumulate, a turkey baster blast or two in the pico filter just before a water change ought to do the trick. And +1 on the slight volume increase.

Mr. Microscope

Thanks. I hadn't considered stuff from the chaeto getting sucked up into it. I was more thinking that the filter floss would catch all the big stuff before hitting the pico filter.

Do you think I should place filter floss around the pico filter intake?

???

I was talking about the waterfall.

Thanks. I hadn't considered stuff from the chaeto getting sucked up into it. I was more thinking that the filter floss would catch all the big stuff before hitting the pico filter.

Do you think I should place filter floss around the pico filter intake?

I missed that point too. you COULD, but is it worth the trouble to replace every few days? I'm beginning to think maybe you might consider just keeping all your media in the '70 and ditch the pico filter into the spare parts box. Either that or mount the pico filter to the BACK of the 'fuge, with the intake on the non-chaeto side.

Cool idea, the best place to put the picotope filter would be on the left side of the AC70 so it pumps from the intake chamber. Probably won't have to mess with filter floss etc that way. I'm going to try this a little later on my picotope depending on how loud the little pump is; I haven't been running chemi-pure since a bag ripping incident a couple months back...

Mr. Microscope

I think the AC70 intake will get in the way of the picofilter output, but I could be wrong. If not, that would work great.

I tried it and it fits on mine because I have the little tab removed and the AC intake tube rotated all the way clockwise for minimum flow, it would block you from turning it upmuch but at least on my picotope I can't do that without sand going everywhere.

Mr. Microscope

Cool. I have mine modified the same way. Did you clip the impeller on your AC? I tested it without any filter media and the flow was really quite intense. It put my 404 PH to shame, even with the intake all the way over the with the tab ripped off. I'm afraid it may be too strong.

I haven't changed the impeller at all. When the tank was new I kept the u-tube pulled up away from the impeller just a tiny bit, maybe 1/16" or so, which reduces the flow even more than moving it to the right. Now that the sandbed has established it is fine pushed down all the way. Unless your pump is doing quite a bit more flow than mine for some reason I don't think you would need to clip the impeller for a picotope.

Mr. Microscope

Good to know. I was hesitant to do any permanent damage to the impeller. Thanks for the tip!

I should have it up and running soon.

amen to ripped chemipure. i like the idea of a completely seperate filter for chemi.

i also kept the stock impeller. with the tab clipped and the tube gapped away from the impeller it is perfect. over time the sand gets a little dipped in front but nothing major. some people replace the impeller with an ac50 or ac20 to get the flow they want.

amen to ripped chemipure. i like the idea of a completely seperate filter for chemi.

i also kept the stock impeller. with the tab clipped and the tube gapped away from the impeller it is perfect. over time the sand gets a little dipped in front but nothing major. some people replace the impeller with an ac50 or ac20 to get the flow they want.

I also clipped the tab, I keep my intake about 1/16" off the full right position, its almost perfect, and I have oolitic sand. I have a brand new AC50 impeller though, if I ever decide I need it. And when I was running the stock HOB during the first few days, it was dead silent.

Archived