Pod Your Reef

30H with Ramps

SK8URDEAD

i recently got a 30H from going to a party for only $5. we were there chilling out people dancing drinking, the usual. i see a tank pretty much empty and ask how much for it. the girl( a friend of my gf's) while holding a beer says $5. im thinking no ####? lol but yeah so yea!!! im customizing it to have a ramp of sand go up that way crabs or hermits can walk to the dry area just for the hell of it, and for a just a new look. going to put fake little plants up there or something and have the mini fish on bottom seem like sharks and idk just go crazy with it lol. well here are the pics.

soo heres how it works. at the moment i have egg crate with a wax sheet ontop of it. with sand glued to the wax sheet giving it the look of sand on it with a total of 3 layers of glue on each other with 3 sand layers.

under the upper area on the right going to put a overflow box that goes down into a sump. return pump is going to be on top right corner and goign to make a custom cliff that makes the water go back down into the sand. kinda like a water fall or something. get what im saying?

post-41226-1255818705_thumb.jpg

post-41226-1255818733_thumb.jpg

post-41226-1255818761_thumb.jpg

post-41226-1255818782_thumb.jpg

post-41226-1255818797_thumb.jpg

post-41226-1255818815_thumb.jpg

Its a new out of the box idea, somewhat like that brillant valcano one, but just one question, have you thought about your water line? How are you going to have it so low, if you want to have the sand up there dry?

It looks like you are going to have around 5 gallons of actual water in there. And if thats real sand, i think your going to have a problem with the smell, since infact it is live, and will be dieing.

run a power head, below the ramp, keep the sand up top wet. Restrict the flow so the water comes up slow, just enough to keep the top part really wet, but not under water.

clockwork john

What about setting this up with a "tidal suge" setup, so that you would have daily low and high tides, leaving the "beach" exposed at times, and submerged at others? That would be awesome.

What about setting this up with a "tidal suge" setup, so that you would have daily low and high tides, leaving the "beach" exposed at times, and submerged at others? That would be awesome.

well the way this is giong to work is! theres going to be a overflow box under the sand on top. return is going to be above the top keeping sand up top always wet(sand in the mean time is just brand new sand not live). after that water is going to be in the whole bottom section not just that part in the front since i want to run a cleaning system like sump and etc. thats why i didnt seal the sides of the ramps and i left them about 1/4" open so water can go threw the sides towards the hiddin over flow box and down the sump. ill most likly make a sketch of this in paint or sketch up to show better detail in what i mean. i also think the k-n would be enough flow for such a small area to mainly keep flow in.

well the way this is giong to work is! theres going to be a overflow box under the sand on top. return is going to be above the top keeping sand up top always wet(sand in the mean time is just brand new sand not live). after that water is going to be in the whole bottom section not just that part in the front since i want to run a cleaning system like sump and etc. thats why i didnt seal the sides of the ramps and i left them about 1/4" open so water can go threw the sides towards the hiddin over flow box and down the sump. ill most likly make a sketch of this in paint or sketch up to show better detail in what i mean. i also think the k-n would be enough flow for such a small area to mainly keep flow in.

anyone know any specific types of crabs that like to come out of the water? i need to start ordering later on. going to get my plumbing done tomorrw(monday)

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!

this tank could be AMAZING!!!

where you live at?

i might donate some fraggles or rocks.....

or both.

:ninja:

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!

this tank could be AMAZING!!!

where you live at?

i might donate some fraggles or rocks.....

or both.

:ninja:

Hey now, don't forget about me! :mellow:

That's an awesome idea though. Are you going to cover the sides of the slope?

Wow this is a great way to make this biotope! Thanks for your help and good luck! I will be following!

Thank you everyone. yes i will be covering up the sides. im just trying to decide if i should get wax paper and put sand on them and put them on the inside making it look like if the sand is accually there keeping the overflow hidden or just use screening. i also just got back from my favorite lfs in San Antonio tx Aquarium Designs! lol :P i know the owner great guy no lies and will help you out with what ever you need. i just got a quote on how much the plumping and everything will cost. tank should be finished by friday(only other day off from work other then today and also going to go get it drilled and everything :)) so yeah!!! other then that i will try to keep small corals in there if possible and a small fish but i don't want to worry so much of a crab somehow munching on a fish. i was looking at the sand crabs or shore crabs? look like nice little bugars but i read they go about 4ft? into the sand lol so i was like huh i dont think that will work even though they look cool or is it 4"? lol. but yeah!

Ty everyone i promise to make this tank look as nice as i possibly can!

Archived