Innovative Marine Aquariums

mp10 sounds like a wind up toy

Rockfish

so as many of you know i got my mp10 a little under a month ago and everything was great....great product BTW and i encourage you to go and get a vortech if you don't have one....so it started out dead quiet and after it's broken in for the past 3 weeks or so it started making a very odd and irritating noise.....kinda like a wind up toy but not too loud and only if you're very close to it.....but i noticed the pump itself did get stronger

is this normal?? does anyone else's pump make any kind of noise???

some feedback would be great......don't wanna continue running my pump and possibly damage it

dapellegrini

Same experience for me. It is not silent, which was a big down-side as my tank is in my bedroom. It is quiet, but no matter how I line it up or position it, I can still hear it in the silent of the night - or if my head is about 1ft away. Wind-up toy is a good analogy.

For now I have accepted the added noise in exchange for a much better circulation system (upgraded from a Koralia Nano).

EDIT: I have been using mine since July... I have it run in a reduced mode during the night, which reduces the noise. During the day it runs in Reef Crest - which makes much more noise in the high cycles.

dapellegrini

The sound comes from the external piece only. I get the same noise if I disconnect both pieces and hold the external piece to my ear. I figured this was normal, but I just sent EcoMarine an email to make sure... I will post up what they tell me.

I frequently remove the plastic impeller cover to clean up the internal piece. It seems to be perfect and silent on that side of the equation. If you line the two sides up poorly it makes more noise and you get a wicked vibration. When centered up right the vibration goes away and the noise is reduced, but I cannot get it silent.

My MP10 has been up and running for months and is Dead Silent even when I set it to (Sand Storm)

Maybe its hit or miss with these units...

or...

You havent played with it enough ;)

The sound comes from the external piece only. I get the same noise if I disconnect both pieces and hold the external piece to my ear.

I frequently remove the plastic impeller cover to clean up the internal piece. It seems to be perfect and silent on that side of the equation. If you line the two sides up poorly it makes more noise and you get a wicked vibration. When centered up right the vibration goes away and the noise is reduced, but I cannot get it silent.

+1.

Eager to find out what they tell you.

nanoreefnate

Well my pump does make noise but it honestly no that much.

but then again...i like having music on when i go to sleep :P

I have mine on a 29 biocube. Did not use the pad first , have it set on short pulse and could hear it wind up and down. Put the pad on and it is now much quieter.

same exact issue with my MP10 also. Its on the motor side. it does make a winding sound, and you can here the different pitches as it spins up and down. let me know you find out

same exact issue with my MP10 also. Its on the motor side. it does make a winding sound, and you can here the different pitches as it spins up and down. let me know you find out

yup....same deal here.....doesn't seem to be harming the pump any though

on short pulse mode the wind up and down is particularly annoying... if i accidently nudge the wet-side during my glass scrapings, i can hear the vibrations from my adjacent room.

on short pulse mode the wind up and down is particularly annoying... if i accidently nudge the wet-side during my glass scrapings, i can hear the vibrations from my adjacent room.

That's what I noticed with mine. On short pulse I sometimes get that "winding" sound, but on the constant modes, it just sounds like those r/c cars in that old nintendo game R/C Pro AM. :D

dapellegrini

It is starting to look like it is pretty common to have a less-than-silent MP10...

Still nothing back from EcoTechMarine...

i wouldn't call them "bugs" just b/c a pump makes a bit of noise doesn't mean it has "bugs" just wanted to see if it was a common thing......the pump operates flawlessly otherwise......

It is starting to look like it is pretty common to have a less-than-silent MP10...

Still nothing back from EcoTechMarine...

i left word as well and nothing back on my end either......i know they check the forums sometimes.....

i wouldn't call them "bugs" just b/c a pump makes a bit of noise doesn't mean it has "bugs" just wanted to see if it was a common thing......the pump operates flawlessly otherwise......

i left word as well and nothing back on my end either......i know they check the forums sometimes.....

To each their own I guess.

Archived