Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need macroalgae ID please

polyppetey

THis has been growing for a while now, the growth rate is fairly slow. It looks like hair algae but it is very short about 3/4 inch long and is very bristly like astroturf I use it to clean the glass with. So far it is on the sandbed and has completely encased a small chunk of liverock. I don;t mind it there but nothing eats it, just wondering if it was fuge time for it or should I keep it.

Maybe a dumb question but... It's not bryopsis, right? :unsure:

no...how could that be a dumb question? :huh: all questions are welcome :D

anyways nah...its not...byopsis is more feathery

growth is too slow for bryopsis, and the "branches" are too short. They are almost like little trees.

Turf algae is way softer than this, the algae here is like toothbrush bristles. You can squeese it like a sponge and it bounces right back.

I am leaning towards maidenshair algae but it is branchier and less grasslike.

Name: Cladophora prolifera

Popular name: Sea Brush

Range: Circumtropical

Size: Grows as stiff, brush-like clumps that are 8cm (3.2 inches) in diameter and 20cm (8 inches) high.

LRI2-0206TL.jpg

No, not sea brush, it does not grow in brushy clumps but spreads like GSP. and is no where near the dimensions posted about the sea brush. Thanks though that is pretty close. The filaments posted in the sea brush picture are much thicker as well.

No, not sea brush, it does not grow in brushy clumps but spreads like GSP. and is no where near the dimensions posted about the sea brush. Thanks though that is pretty close. The filaments posted in the sea brush picture are much thicker as well.

Does it look at all like the pic I posted?

Johnmaloney gave me a tentative ID of Chaetomorpha Crassa.

He said it's a different form of Chaetomorpha that is common in the wild but difficult to find in captivity.

He said it grows on rock but is difficult to grow any other way.

I'm hoping to grow mine out and use it for trades down the road.

It looks really cool when it covers a larger rock area, and critters love to populate it, so it's beneficial in that way.

I'm hoping to grow mine out and use it for trades down the road.

It looks really cool when it covers a larger rock area, and critters love to populate it, so it's beneficial in that way.

I will place a small piece of lr next to it to see if it will grab on. It grows in a pretty uniform way and the length of the algae is very consistent. I was thinking you could grow it out on some ceramic tiles and line your fuge with them, it would look like a golf course putting green LOL.

+1 on critters living in it if you squeeze it out all kinds of pods come out. My mandarin is always eyeballing that particular piece of real estate.

• 11 months later...

I've got some that is just about the same, I think.

It might have some brown flatworms :(

Anyone know if the algae will survive a freshwater dip?

Grrrrrr

post-24218-1284402360_thumb.jpg

Archived