Cultivated Reef

Came across some really cool macro algae!

organism

Just posting up some eye candy, I've been really getting into macro algae lately and am starting to build up a nice collection :)

I've decided that I'm going to go with a 100% macro algae and sponge pico tank once I can get one made, no corals or anything else aside from some clown gobies. The base on this one's a nice sky bluish color that just doesn't photograph well for some reason.

915newmacro1.jpg

915newmacro2.jpg

915newmacro3.jpg

And then here's the mother colony for my blue macro B)

915newmacro4.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great colors! If you don't already, get some halymenia. It has an insane red fluorescence under blue lighting.

Where can I find that one?

I have a cool blue macro, really tiny one with lobed 'leaves'... how could I propagate it without destroying it?

What's been working for me is to put a bunch of little rocks around it, and the algae spreads onto there. I've seen some fragged and glued down though, dunno how it held up but seems like a good thing to try.

:o WOW :o

What kind of light will you use over the tank?

I'm working on a 29g Display Refugium, and I currently have a 2x24w T5HO fixture to use over it.

I've got an ATI Blue+ bulb, and a GE 6500 bulb to use in the fixture.

I was thinking of just doing a pico with a coralife mini over it, think that'll be enough to grow the algae? Right now the blue one loves the 20k halide I've got it hidden under, weird...

It will depend on the macroalgae, they each have different light requirements, just like corals.

And just as with corals, you will have to experiment with how high you place them in the tank, or whether to place them in shade.

For example, if they start to fade, place them lower or shade them a bit.

I have some Red Grape Kelp that was under 4x39w T5HO in a 30g tank and it started to fade.

Now that I have it under PC, it's coloring up again.

There's actually a small group of us on here now that are in the process of setting up Display Refugiums, it would be really cool if we could all get some Macroalgae Resources and Info going.

I had one person point me in the direction of MarinePlantedTanks.com.

You should also check out this thread on a really cool SW Planted Tank:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1

Hey Miggy, do you want any halimeda, I have some, even my tuxedo urchin scooped up some to throw on it's back, lol! It's a BRIGHT nuclear/neon green by day, and the leaves are very calcious so it'll only thrive in calcium rich tanks. Those blue macros are off the chain though!! If you can name it, I'd name the bright blue one "crocea mantle algae..." :lol:

Just posting up some eye candy, I've been really getting into macro algae lately and am starting to build up a nice collection :)

I've decided that I'm going to go with a 100% macro algae and sponge pico tank once I can get one made, no corals or anything else aside from some clown gobies. The base on this one's a nice sky bluish color that just doesn't photograph well for some reason.

915newmacro1.jpg

915newmacro2.jpg

915newmacro3.jpg

And then here's the mother colony for my blue macro B)

915newmacro4.jpg

Ok soooo.....

Nice post!!! I am very excited about your macro. Called 3 lfs and everyone was no interested in helping me find some of this. Where do I find some? I am in LA what LFs o you go to? :o

Thanks

PS already got some cheato and mangroves

Hey Miggy, do you want any halimeda, I have some, even my tuxedo urchin scooped up some to throw on it's back, lol! It's a BRIGHT nuclear/neon green by day, and the leaves are very calcious so it'll only thrive in calcium rich tanks. Those blue macros are off the chain though!! If you can name it, I'd name the bright blue one "crocea mantle algae..." :lol:

I would like some too please!!!! If you are serious let me know!!!

Ok soooo.....

Nice post!!! I am very excited about your macro. Called 3 lfs and everyone was no interested in helping me find some of this. Where do I find some? I am in LA what LFs o you go to? :o

I don't go to any LFS, I work as a rep at a wholesaler and get to check hundreds and hundreds of corals every day for cool hitchhikers when it's slow B) As far as I know no LFS carry or are interested in carrying macro algae aside from the bubbly red stuff, which is exactly why I want to go with a planted and sponge tank. I get to cherry pick so many insane corals every week that they're just not really doing it for me right now...

So far I'm averaging one cool macro a month, so about .001% of corals have one on there... Next is cool sponges and tunicates!

everyone likes the blue one personally i enjoy the speckled "montipora" scrolling algae! nice stuff

Me too, the texture on that one's just insane! The blue one's cool too though, really does look just like a crocea mantle and grows nicely.

I don't go to any LFS, I work as a rep at a wholesaler and get to check hundreds and hundreds of corals every day for cool hitchhikers when it's slow B) As far as I know no LFS carry or are interested in carrying macro algae aside from the bubbly red stuff, which is exactly why I want to go with a planted and sponge tank. I get to cherry pick so many insane corals every week that they're just not really doing it for me right now...

So far I'm averaging one cool macro a month, so about .001% of corals have one on there... Next is cool sponges and tunicates!

Me too, the texture on that one's just insane! The blue one's cool too though, really does look just like a crocea mantle and grows nicely.

WEll :huh: I would do that job for free if you need an intern on the weekends let me know!!! Also I will pay you some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$ for the smallest sliver from those guys. I am literally dolling on my desk. If in the near future please let me know. ( I work in television currently and hate it but gots me some money)

PS: you are the F$%@# man

WOW thats a CRAZY macro. too bad all the wholesalers up here suckkkk LOL theyre dirty too. not like the ones down in LA.

Most of the stores in LA are a F@$%@ joke : ( Before I got my associates of arts nano-reef marine science degree those _____ _________ would sell me anything to make a quick buck. I bought so much stuff 9 out of 10 times it would be wrong fish, equipment, disease treatment, food, ect...I think you get the point. I think I will make a post about it. I am sure their are legit stores out there I only know of one in la. It's called vivid

Hey are you trying macro block me take a F@&*#ing number :P

Hate to break it to ya', but he's got some close aquaintances that have dibs from a few months back when he first aquired these pieces. Just sayin'! ;) With that, I doubt he'll be fragging off any of it anytime soon if I know him as well as I do, lol!

Archived