Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

12gal Nano-DX LED Retro

ccLansman

So i finally decided to go for it and ordered up the supplies to do an LED retro on my 12gal nano-dx.

Parts List:

6x White Cree Q5 XR-E ($6 each @ ETGtech.com)

6x Royal Blue Cree® XR-E (($6 each @ ETGtech.com)

2x 1000mA Constant Current Output, External Dimming w/ pot. ($19.99 @ ledsupply.com)

1x 24V-6.4A supply ($14.95 @ MPJA)

1x 24V-3.2A ($17.99, marked as "70W universal laptop power supply" from Geeks.com)

10 x 5.375 inch heatsink ($20 @ heatsinkusa.com)

Total Cost: (not including shipping)

$145

Side notes/ tips before the pics:

-If you want to save some $$ go with etg tech on the lights they sold me the q5 for $6 when led supply wanted $9 each, all you have to do is call them, they were really nice and knew exactly what i wanted.

-USE A DRILL PRESS, the press i had would not take the drill bit the 4-40 tap needed, needless to say i snapped 4 drill bits trying to do it by hand :( and it took me about 3.5hrs to drill....

-If you can find a universal laptop power supply at a local frys or the like you can save shipping from MPJA, and have an already packaged unit. All you gotta do is cut the connector off and there should be two wires, red/black, then just hook the buckpuck to it and your done.

-The dimmer is cool but i dont think ill ever really use it, so save the $5 each buckpuck and skip the dimmer, unless you have some reason to use it.

-Last but not least enjoy the process! I had a blast building the fixture and it looks great.

Now the pics:

Buckpuck from led supply w/ pot

49082929.jpg

LEDS from ETG tech.

56117198.jpg

We found these little pink boxes at Michale's :) They worked really well for packing all the wires.

73106105.jpg

Top side wtih pots. mounted.

82677938.jpg

Initial layout for the leds, the wife laid them out while i was off studying for school.

89421879.jpg

The hand drilled nightmare. As you can see there are a few drill bits and a tap broken off in there.

11098636.jpg

All drilled and tapped and mounted with our bracket, we found at home depot for .50 and bent to fit.

51668068.jpg

All the led soldered down in series.

44313370.jpg

Last but not least, TADA all the lights powered up and looking good.

It sorta hard to tell but the lights were laid out like this::

White, Blue, Blue, White

Blue, White, White, Blue

White, Blue, Blue, White

21438623.jpg

I dont have any in tank pics as we got home too late last night to turn it on. Ill post some today when i get home. If you have any questions or i made any mistakes, just shoot me a PM.

I haven't added the fans yet i need one more power supply, that ill go out and buy today. Im going to mount them shooting across rather then down onto it. It should cool down the heat sink more then the top down fans. So for now i have my large floor fan mounted on the side blowing onto it.

It was fun and for about the same cost as a HQI solution for a cube, i would pick the led any day.

Don't use those little pink boxes for the drivers. Too small, and needs ventilation. The Buckpucks will overheat if given the chance.

AH! Thanks for the heads up i had no idea, what if i drill some holes in the box? I hope this does not happen today, as i will not be home until 7ish to open it up.

It should be fine, but change it soon. Adding holes can help, but adding interior volume and holes will be even better.

Ill go ahead and mount the bucks on the outside of the box, its down away from the water any how.

Nice! Just a comment on your "Side Note/ Tips". While I agree that you do not need the pots (dimmer), it will give you flexibility to dial in the color you like. Without them, your stuck with only one option.

Right. And I bet you will use that dimmer. It's great for acclimation, and once you see what your tank looks like with the blues up and whites down, you will be screwing with that dimmer for hours. It's worth the extra few dollars per driver.

Nice! I have same tank so I think im just going to copy your setup lol.

Could you explain, and maybe show some closeup pics, of exactly how you attached the heat sink to inside of hood?

And I know you aernt done yet, but please show some detailed pics of how the splash shield fits with everything and all that. Thanks!

Nice! I have same tank so I think im just going to copy your setup lol.

Could you explain, and maybe show some closeup pics, of exactly how you attached the heat sink to inside of hood?

And I know you aernt done yet, but please show some detailed pics of how the splash shield fits with everything and all that. Thanks!

I guess i haven't really even seen the tank all that long, i turned the lights on for about 5 mins last night :)

Ill retract my pot comment if/when i get a tinkering with the color temps and like it :P

naw707, ill try and get some pics, i didn't even think of taking pics of the mounting bracket, we custom made that with a thin sheet of metal from home depot in the roofing section for about .50c

Its mounted to the top of the hood via two screws per side.

The piece is 1" wide and we cut two slits to match the width of the heat sink and bent that down to hold the heat sink so it doesn't slide left and right. Then i bent the arms of the piece to meet up with the top of the hood and drilled two holes and screwed it down.

The splash shield works easily since the heat sink is touching the screw posts that are on the top of the hood, there is about .5 inch distance to the splash guard. I plan on mounting the two fans that were already in there horizontally blowing across the heat sink. That way i don't have to custom mod the top of the hood. Ill just mount them with a strip of hot glue. Or if i get real fancy a small metal bracket.

After reading your post and looking at the pics again its all very clear. That was the one part i was unsure of. As far as what size heat sink, and how to get it all in there. Looking at your project helped alot. Probably order my parts next week!

Yea please post some more pics, maybe couple of finished hood with everything all buttoned up....

After reading your post and looking at the pics again its all very clear. That was the one part i was unsure of. As far as what size heat sink, and how to get it all in there. Looking at your project helped alot. Probably order my parts next week!

Yea please post some more pics, maybe couple of finished hood with everything all buttoned up....

If you look at pic #8 with all the lights soldered down you can see the bolts holding down the heat sink. I would go with the 10inch it will give you more passive cooling to the point that you may not even need any fans. Ill need to check my temps to be sure on that but so far mine is quite cool with no fan.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have any details as to how you actually mounted the heatsink into the hood? I don't want to rip apart my hood just yet but I'd like to start getting everything I need ready.

Do you have any details as to how you actually mounted the heatsink into the hood? I don't want to rip apart my hood just yet but I'd like to start getting everything I need ready.

I'm kinda in same boat. I have pretty much all the parts now, going to start drilling heatsink etc.

So you have bolts going through the hood it looks like. From top can you see nuts and bolt? Some more pics would be really useful, if you could please......

I'm kinda in same boat. I have pretty much all the parts now, going to start drilling heatsink etc.

So you have bolts going through the hood it looks like. From top can you see nuts and bolt? Some more pics would be really useful, if you could please......

Im charging my camera battery at the moment but let me try and give a description..

The screws are head on the top and bolts inside. I didnt paint them black but a dab of any black paint or sharpie and they should be well hidden.

Update:: I was able to mount the two fans that were already in the hood for the original back exhaust across the heat sink. It stays cool to the touch all day. So looks like...

F H------------------H

a e------------------e

n a -----------------a

F t-------------------t --> out the grills already in the side of the hood

a s------------------s

n n -----------------n

s k------------------k

Ill also add some pics tomorrow, we were able to cut a slot and add a protein skimmer.

• 6 months later...

Very nice led diy

I would also would like to copy your build.

Can you please help me with the leds order ?

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp7090XR-E.pdf

I think you are using the following leds

Cree XR-E cool white 10.000 Q5

Code

XREWHT-L1-0000-00D01

Cree Royal Blue

Code

XREROY-L1-0000-00A01

is that right ?

Do i have to order the led pcb separately or it comes with the led as it is on your pics ?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
ccLansman
Very nice led diy

I would also would like to copy your build.

Can you please help me with the leds order ?

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp7090XR-E.pdf

I think you are using the following leds

Cree XR-E cool white 10.000 Q5

Code

XREWHT-L1-0000-00D01

Cree Royal Blue

Code

XREROY-L1-0000-00A01

is that right ?

Do i have to order the led pcb separately or it comes with the led as it is on your pics ?

thanks

Sorry for the extremely late reply, i didnt catch your post. I would call etgtech the lady who answered the phone knew exactly what i needed, i believe they are the q5's. The leds come pre-mounted on the pcb. If you have any other questions let me know.

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Clown Fish 39

Hello

I was wondering if the power supply came with a plug that could go in the wall or is that what the laptop power supply was for?

Thanks

Hello

I was wondering if the power supply came with a plug that could go in the wall or is that what the laptop power supply was for?

Thanks

yes the power supply has a plug that goes into the wall. the power supply you mention first, and laptop power supply are one in the same.

so do i connect the laptop power from Geek.com to the power supply from Mpja?

o i see what your saying. hmm i dont know why he has two power supplies listed there. Maybe he can shed some light on that.

I only used one. I ended up having to run to radio shack and get one there cuz the one I got from geeks.com lasted about one day before it fried.

So yea, in my case, im using one power supply to run both buckpucks.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the confusion i used the power supply from mpja to power the fans and one string of leds, before water got on it and it blew up. You can get away with one power supply from geeks or where ever just make sure it will handle the current demand and the total volts needed.

i.e. 6 (3watt leds) at 1amp each will be 18v so you would need 36V and 2 amps to run two strings, most universal power supplies don't offer that kind of power.

• 1 year later...

Is there a way to keep the original plastic cover on the hood to protect the light from water. I am still confused with this set up, but I am trying to mimic it. Would I need a smaller heatsink? such as an 8.5x5? Also I wanted to have moonlight lights, how would I incorporate it in the LED lighting?

Sorry for the confusion i used the power supply from mpja to power the fans and one string of leds, before water got on it and it blew up. You can get away with one power supply from geeks or where ever just make sure it will handle the current demand and the total volts needed.

i.e. 6 (3watt leds) at 1amp each will be 18v so you would need 36V and 2 amps to run two strings, most universal power supplies don't offer that kind of power.

I believe that buckpucks can only run a max of 24v through them so no need to even think of 36v.

• 2 months later...

Archived