Coral Vue Hydros

Metal chip found in bag of Reef Crystals

greech

So I take it this is not a common thing. I was prepping my water for a WC tomorrow and it I saw it in the bag after I took out my first cup of salt. Should I even use the water I'm making? I didn't see any in the cups I used but there could be more in the bag.

SpankythePyro
They should install a metal detector like they do for food.

They should already have one at multiple points in their processing lines.

I would complain to the company and have them give you some extra salt just for your trouble. You don't know if there could be smaller metal chips. Additionally they will need the batch number, so save the bag, box, bucket.

Complain I doubt you will get more than 1 free bag of salt if that is what you are looking for.Kinda off subject but I had a box of crunch n munch that had a wad of mouse hair and flesh that was mixed with the toffey in the box.I sent them the box and the wad of nasty they would never call me they sent me a coupon for 1 free box of crunch n munch and a check for 5 whole dollars to cover my shipping charge that was 9 dollars LOL

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Wow definitely a first for me, lol Lawnman thats what you get for going with cheap company, I had a friend buy a Oreo pack that had a piece of machinery from there factory and they sent him a huge complimentary basket full of goodies.

Complain I doubt you will get more than 1 free bag of salt if that is what you are looking for.Kinda off subject but I had a box of crunch n munch that had a wad of mouse hair and flesh that was mixed with the toffey in the box.I sent them the box and the wad of nasty they would never call me they sent me a coupon for 1 free box of crunch n munch and a check for 5 whole dollars to cover my shipping charge that was 9 dollars LOL

Not looking for anything but advise and also to also let others know so they can be on the lookout.

get them to buy you a lifetime supply of dd h20 or you'll sue...

:lol:

BTW does anyone have any opinions about whether I should use the water I have mixing or toss and get a new bag of salt? Thanks.

You should notify the company as soon as possible. They'll probably want the batch number and such for quality control reasons. Trust me, they don't want things like this to happen and will probably be very happy you brought it to their attention.

SpankythePyro
You should notify the company as soon as possible. They'll probably want the batch number and such for quality control reasons. Trust me, they don't want things like this to happen and will probably be very happy you brought it to their attention.

Thats what I said -_-

Here is the response from IO in case anyone was curious...

Hello,

I would not be overly concerned. As with most minerals, salt is mined.

Occasionally foreign contaminants are within the salt. Every precaution

is taken to prevent this from occurring, but occasionally stuff gets

through. It is likely a small bit of the mining equipments drill head or

some ore that was within the salt vein. It is hard to be sure. It would

not contaminate your mix, however.

Regards,

Instant Ocean

Maybe a late post, but yes, I've seen it. A local reefer started having some really big problems with the corals in her predominantly SPS reef. When she went to do a big, fast change to see if it fixed things, she found the metal chips in her salt. Chuck it all, immedeately. Using it could be a very, very bad idea.

The truth of that matter is that without testing, you can't be sure if that metal will have a positive or negative effect on your water. You may not find every chip if there are multiples, and something from that chip might have leached into the salt.

Here's the link for her thread about it.

http://www.worcreef.org/index.php?topic=5034.0

After we spend hundreds (thousands) of dollars to make our environments as perfect as possible...I don't really care for their flippant response. I think I'll be avoiding this brand of salt.

"Oh, no big deal, your tank wil be fine with half a bucket of bolts in it, happens all the time"

(hope they weren't copper!)

:o

Instant Ocean's response was poor. They should have offered to replace the mix. I'm not exactly sure what they mean by:

It would not contaminate your mix, however.

I guess they meant that its mere presence wouldn't contaminate the rest of the mix. However, if it were introduced into your tank (or even allowed to remain while mixing the water), it probably would have added contaminates into the water.

Archived