ReefCleaners.org

Fish ID

fishguy84

Hey everybody. I bought a fish at the LFS, and they're usually good at finding names for everything. The guy that does the husbandry knows his stuff.

Anyway, What is this guy?

Goby-like features, and can change its color to blotchy, chrome silver, or spotted.

About 1-1/2" nose to tail

carbon-mantis

Hmm, never seen that one before. A pretty fish, regardless. Murphy's Law dictates that it will grow to six feet in length, have a ravenous appetite that includes cravings for both fish and corals, and may as well be concealing several venomous spines.

Very, very cute little fish. No clue what it is, but in my experience cute fish tend to turn into monsters so I'm going to have to agree with carbon-mantis about what's going to happen with the little guy.

I'd guess going by body shape that he's either going to stay that size or he's some sort of juvenile something that's going to get huge. Doesn't look like a goby to me though, something about the look of his mouth.

Good luck with finding out what he is.

oh man i should know this one.... they redfish anglers use them as bait when they are larger...i will get back to you on it if I remember..definitely not a goby, it isnt what most people would consider a tropical...this is going to kill me, I must see a thousand of them every week and I dont know their names....any fisherman on this board?

oh man i should know this one.... they redfish anglers use them as bait when they are larger...i will get back to you on it if I remember..definitely not a goby, it isnt what most people would consider a tropical...this is going to kill me, I must see a thousand of them every week and I dont know their names....any fisherman on this board?

Cockahoe

i think cocahoe minnows are northern, i could be wrong though. fished in lake champlain with some. i cant get past mojarra, but that isnt it for sure, not really close either. oh well time for sleep...

i think cocahoe minnows are northern, i could be wrong though. fished in lake champlain with some. i cant get past mojarra, but that isnt it for sure, not really close either. oh well time for sleep...

We use 'em here :)

Wow, I thing "Cocahoe " is it! Maybe not a rare fish, but rare in an aquarium.

Oh, and my location is Barrington, NJ (10 minutes from Philly)

most "rare" things in the hobby are just sold that way anyway. like the "rare" zoas that can be found everywhere you look etc...

Archived