Innovative Marine Aquariums

40br build

rickg

There are so many nice breeders I had to join the club. Picked up a 40br with a biowheel 400 filter and a 3 bulb fixture from a guy that was upgrading. My LFS had a used 20 long for the fuge. I have been thinking that a total display set up would look nice. An open stand all exposed, skimmer and plumbing.

The bottom of the 40 is tempered so drilling the bottom isn't going to happen. :angry:

Can I do a "herbie" type drain drilling the back? How do I determine the size of the return pump? I'll use some Korolias' for circulation. I'm a familiar face at the local glass shop and they'll drill holes and cut glass pieces I need to partition the 20L. I've read some of the threads on plumbing but still not comfortable given the potential catastrophe. If the return pump fails how is overflow of fuge stopped? Is this a factor of average fuge level and the height of the main drain to display water level?

I'm planning on an open top, no canopy. The light would hang 12 - 16" above tank. Most of the DIY MH reflectors are kinda deep 4.5" or so, a hanging DIY fixture might look heavy. So maybe an Outer Orbit 2x150 & T5 or Odyssey 250MH. Could I hang a 6 bulb T5 that far from the water surface?

I'm at maybe .08 on the experience level. Just enough to be intoxicated. Good advice is appreciated.

My Aquapod 24 has served me well. But selling it the biowheel filter and the 3 bulb light will help pay the way.

a new adventure so exciting :D

yes you can have a herbie style overflow drilled from the back. I did that, works great.

The overflow box and the siphon break in the return line is what keeps the sump from overflowing. Make sure when you set it up to slowly add water, turn pump on/off to find the maximum water line the sump can hold and not overflow. the way my 20L sump is I can have 12g (plus the 'fuge sand) and when everything is off, the water comes to about 1/2" below top trim

for return pump figure out how much flow you want in the sump, height from pump to return, how many elbows, unions, valves, etc in the return line, then use this calculator

http://reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

not all pumps are listed there. If you find a pump that you like and is not listed, dig up the pump curve and that will tell you if it will work.

I dont think I would hang a T5 that far from the surface, more like 5". less light spill and better PAR.

Welcome to the 40B club. Excellent tanks perfect for reefs :)

I have 40g breeder and 20g L for sump. I have drilled overflow box from glass holes . com . I siliconed baffles made of plexiglass from home depot. First is for overflow from tank and ASM G1X skimmer, second is "fuge", last section is for return pump. No danger of overflow from pump failure if you set your sump level. I push the envelope as if my pump turns off the water is literally right to the brim. I also have two return lines drilled in each corner.

You can see some pics here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...164085&st=0

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered an overflow box 6 x 4 x 8.25, 45mm drill bit and 4 bulkheads from BRS tonight. I'll purchase the rest of the plumbing fittings locally. A Coralife 65 skimmer is waiting at my LFS. It will hang on the back rather than in the sump. I'm thinking 400 gph pump is in order for the return.? It will be an external pump, keeping the heat out of the sump. The fuge will occupy the bulk of the 20L. I ordered all the bulkheads the same size. I haven't figured the diameter and change to line loc arrangement for the return. Slowly its coming together.

Archived