My LED fixture "retrofit"

ADAreef

6x Cree XR-E "Cool White" LEDs

6x Cree XR-E "Royal Blue" LEDs

2x Dimmable Buckpuck LED drivers

Heatsink from HeatsinkUSA

Potrans Power Supply

Weller Soldering Iron

20" Current Orbit fixture (gutted except for the fan and one of the power switches)

Misc wires, solder, screws, tools etc

The goal of this project was to build lighting for my ADA cube that was fully contained- the only wiring outside of the fixture will be the power cord. I had an old Orbit CF fixture lying around, and discovered that I would be able to cut it down to 10" and still fit the power supply, heatsink with LEDs, and wiring completely inside while retaining the original curved shape of the aluminum shell. The ends have vent holes and a decent fan for sucking heat away from the components.

So far, I've attached the LEDs to the heatsink and soldered them together (blues and whites separately of course), and wired everything up for a test run. So far, so good; these things are so damn bright! All that's left is to cut the shell down to 10" and mount everything inside using the original ballast brackets. I'll get some pictures of the finished project very soon.

So far, so good; these things are so damn bright!

I laughed when I read this :lol: When I first tested my LEDs, I turned the pots all the way up while sitting next to my half-finished project without giving it a second thought. Needless to say, I was semi-blind for the next 15 minutes.

I laughed when I read this :lol: When I first tested my LEDs, I turned the pots all the way up while sitting next to my half-finished project without giving it a second thought. Needless to say, I was semi-blind for the next 15 minutes.

I did exactly the same thing... I could see the imprint of the white LEDs burned into my vision for a good while afterwards.

omgwtfbbq we have the same project going on. It's a duel! SIR I DEMAND SATISFACTION!

!!!

Mine's all ready to be put together, but I have to move in to my new place first- hopefully within the next few days.

hehe maybe after I finish my LED fixture for my 20L I'll make one for my 30c too! Ill be following along with this one.

Good plan.

Archived